Captain's FB with "Follow Me" stripe and matching Inland airborne liner

GeneralCheese

Whom ever it belonged to, you have to appreciate the fact that he tucked the A-yokes under the suspension instead of cutting them. :)

Your weekend pass is revoked.

USMC-RECON0321

In the picture it looks like there is paperwork or maybe a letter setting next to the helmet. Did the seller send those items with the helmet?

Troy

GeneralCheese

In the picture it looks like there is paperwork or maybe a letter setting next to the helmet. Did the seller send those items with the helmet?

Troy

Yes. It was an unrelated letter from 1924, a terribly bug-eaten map from WWII from a metal goods manufacturer, and a war ration book named to a Ruth. Sobel's wife was named Rose.

Screamingeagles101

Makes sense, I mean, what are the chances of there being another captain named H. Sobel in the airborne? That is amazing!

I'm thinking it is his!

Hope I'm right!!!!!

Any chance the H Sobel bit got added later to an otherwise original helmet? Seems like the odds on that helmet turning up would be astronomical. Wouldn't there be some evidence of 101st markings on the sides as well?

I'm not in a position to speak with any kind of helmet expertise. It just seems amazing to me the conversation is even being suggested. I hope there is some way to confirm it. If it is in fact That Sobel, it would seem like a museum would be the place for it to end up

Makes sense, I mean, what are the chances of there being another captain named H. Sobel in the airborne? That is amazing!

I'm thinking it is his!

Hope I'm right!!!!!

While it would be an amazing find if you search a few registries there are a few H. Sobel's in the airborne, just did a quick search and found a glider rider. So far I think Ben has been doing the right thing and not jumping to conclusions with the helmet. Again it would be amazing for it to be his helmet, just got to make sure all the pieces fall into place.

While it would be an amazing find if you search a few registries there are a few H. Sobel's in the airborne, just did a quick search and found a glider rider. So far I think Ben has been doing the right thing and not jumping to conclusions with the helmet. Again it would be amazing for it to be his helmet, just got to make sure all the pieces fall into place.

great point, plus sobel was not a captain when he left the army. although he may have been when he left europe im not sure if he was promoted before or after being called back for korea.

Okay, bear with me for a second GeneralCheese, but I think I found "Ruth".

First I looked for an obit, and eventually found his findagrave page:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19055620&ref=acom

Then I decided to see what I could find on Ancestry. As I was looking through the 1930 Federal Census for his family I found that one of his sisters was listed as "Ruth Sobel". She was 11 and Herbert was 18 at the time. Now Ruth is not listed as living with her family in the 1940 Federal Census, but she was 21 and probably was married and living somewhere else by then. I will look further into Ruth and see where it goes.

GeneralCheese, what exactly is in the letter and is it related to the name Sobel at all?

Here is the Sobel family listed in the 1930 Federal Census:

post-153059-0-68051700-1450925501.jpg

GeneralCheese

Okay, bear with me for a second GeneralCheese, but I think I found "Ruth".

First I looked for an obit, and eventually found his findagrave page:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19055620&ref=acom

Then I decided to see what I could find on Ancestry. As I was looking through the 1930 Federal Census for his family I found that one of his sisters was listed as "Ruth Sobel". She was 11 and Herbert was 18 at the time. Now Ruth is not listed as living with her family in the 1940 Federal Census, but she was 21 and probably was married and living somewhere else by then. I will look further into Ruth and see where it goes.

GeneralCheese, what exactly is in the letter and is it related to the name Sobel at all?

Here is the Sobel family listed in the 1930 Federal Census:

Wow, you may be on to something. Here's the envelope, with "Ruth" on the address, and "Ruth" also on a piece of the war ration book.

post-30085-0-49228300-1450927342.jpg

post-30085-0-03303600-1450927343.jpg

GeneralCheese

Even if it's not a E 2/506 lid, it's still an awesome airborne helmet. I love the look of the liner, is there cup frozen in place?

I've poked it and it seems only a little stiff, but I'm not going to attempt moving it.

Wow, you may be on to something. Here's the envelope, with "Ruth" on the address, and "Ruth" also on a piece of the war ration book.

The envelope shows a Mr. Ruth though, the census shows Ruth being a sister to Herbert, unless the envelope was addressed inaccurately?

My cursive is a little rusty, but is the last name on the stub and the envelope Jetachlag or Jetschlag?

The last name on the envelope and ration ticket dont seem to match. One looks like it ends in a D the other in a G. Also the third letter is different.

GeneralCheese, what names are mentioned in the letter? So far I have had no luck with "Ruth Jetachlag/Jetschlag/Jetachlad/Jetschlad".

If you would rather post a scan of the letter that would work just as well.

Also a possibility is that the first name is not RUTH but ROLF. There is a descender on the last letter of the first name. Which would make more sense with the Mr.