Captain's FB with "Follow Me" stripe and matching Inland airborne liner

GeneralCheese

By the way, a 101st lid without markings, that just screams training. Most men would have painted their helmets overseas, in England.

IMO it's the only explanation and it could well be his. Then of course he would have been issued another helmet, probably in 1943.

That brings up the next question.If a state side helmet and most were primarily painted in England Why the officer bar on the the back of a state side helmet?....was it a common practice to have officer or NCO bars state side?

What if the 101 is not in reference to the airborne, but to an ordnance battalion or medical group? The airborne liner may be coincidental.

and the name and rank!

Also a possibility is that the first name is not RUTH but ROLF. There is a descender on the last letter of the first name. Which would make more sense with the Mr.

I agree. The name that I see is MR. ROLF KERSTAD

Also a possibility is that the first name is not RUTH but ROLF. There is a descender on the last letter of the first name. Which would make more sense with the Mr.

It looks to me like the letter is addressed to: Mr. ROLF KERSTAD

It looks to me like the letter is addressed to: Mr. ROLF KERSTAD

and the name and rank!

I once ran into a Marine who shared my first initial and last name, and another in my same company who shared the last 4 of my social. It does happen!

Good Afternoon - I've been following the various helmet threads trying to learn. My question to the experienced collectors is whether or not this was a common method/location to mark helmets with the owner's name and unit. Have yet to see one marked in this manner in other threads. Thanks.

Good Afternoon - I've been following the various helmet threads trying to learn. My question to the experienced collectors is whether or not this was a common method/location to mark helmets with the owner's name and unit. Have yet to see one marked in this manner in other threads. Thanks.

It was pretty common for soldiers to mark liners with their laundry number, name, and social security number. I'm sure the same applies for shells, although most of them are marked on the inside of the shell. During Vietnam, it wasn't uncommon for soldiers to put their names or nicknames on their covers.

I once ran into a Marine who shared my first initial and last name, and another in my same company who shared the last 4 of my social. It does happen!

it sure does I've found about 17 people with my name which isn't a common name

There are 5 pages of Sobels on the WW2 registry.One glider vet but a private.

With the registry this isnt near a complete list by any means as they rely on people/individuals adding veterans there.Typically the only added names by Government Records are those killed or died in service.

Any updates on this helmet?

I have no definite opinion on it, other than I would like to own it. (!)

Perhaps the way to go about it at this point is see how many officers there were that had the name. I'd suspect there are a few....but not a prohibitive number....and I suspect several of those could be eliminated easily.

• 2 months later...

Good Afternoon,

I just finished the article and am going to throw this out there. No intent to argue, offend, or debate. Like many of us on the forum I made a career out of the military. My opinion is that you could really tell the true measure of a man as to how he treated his family. In other words was he a good father and husband? (I have my reasons for that but sharing them doesn't really add to my point and I feel would take this in a whole different direction.) I find it a bit heartbreaking that "Monday morning quarterbacks" have an opinion of a man who honorably served his country during war based on what they think they know based on a book and HBO series. LTC Sobel has my respect as do all who have served honorably. To judge his leadership ability 75 yrs after the fact having never known him to me is not appropriate.

Again, no intent to start an argument or debate. Just my opinion.