Captain's FB with "Follow Me" stripe and matching Inland airborne liner

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

Here's a pretty cool helmet. It's a FB with welded on Captain's bars and a "Follow Me" stripe with "H Sobel 101" on the back. The liner is a really nice Inland airborne liner with the leather chincup and matching markings. From what the seller told me, it came from the attic of an old church in Texas, untouched for who knows how long. Thanks for looking

post-30085-0-29309200-1450911885.jpg

post-30085-0-90446400-1450911885.jpg

Com'on.....Herbert Sobel!?!? 101....

That's pretty strange.

However the helmet does look old and funky. Including the painted marks. And it's a five hole chin cup.

Ronnie

Ben and I have been PMing back and forth on this one a bit. And I have to say I like the looks of the markings on this one from the pics. And see no huge red flags. The key to nailing this down without an ASN, and trying to figure out how this might have made its way to TX if it was THE H. Sobel's lid as well as any other possible Sobel's that were in the AB.

USMC-RECON0321

I was thinking the same thing.

How did you come across this from the picket in Texas who claims to have found it in a church in Texas? Did he give the name of the church? If so, I would contact them and see if they have any history on a Sobel in their Congregation.

GeneralCheese

I was thinking the same thing.

How did you come across this from the picket in Texas who claims to have found it in a church in Texas? Did he give the name of the church? If so, I would contact them and see if they have any history on a Sobel in their Congregation.

I do have the name of the church, I did not think about asking them before! I will do that.