WW1 M1917 TRENCH KNIFE/FIGHTING KNIFE..

kphfun

I have a M-1917 trench knife and need help on it's worth. It is marked "A.C.C.& CO U.S.A. 1917" and is in very nice condition. I had this listed for $300.00 and other then one quack I got no response. When I searched for other knive's like this I was seeing 400.00-500.00 and never this make. Any help would be great as I have two and the second one has it's scabbard. Thank's, Kev

post-3273-1219391859.jpg

Greg Robinson

The ACC and LF&C Model of 1917/1918 trench knives are worth basically the same. But as is the case with all collectible cutlery condition is important as is being complete with original scabbard. When I see one priced in the $400-$500 range I expect to see a scabbard and excellent or better condition.

Greg

I just bought an unissued LF&C with scabbard for $550. It looks mint and I had to quit taking it out of the scabbard as I didn't want to scrape the pristine blade.

These have never had the collector appeal that the MK I 1918 knife did, even though the 1917 was actually used in combat during WWI, and the 1918 probably wasnt.

We have no problem getting $300 to $325 for knives without scabbards, but they need to be in nicer shape than the one you were offering. I think you would probably have better luck in the $250 to $275 range.

We sold this one for $275 back a few catalogs ago:

V31268-1.jpg

V31268-2.jpg

As Greg indicated, there is no real difference in value between the two main styles of M1917 knives. The expensive ones are the really nice ones with scabbards, the LF&C with the 'extra knuckle', etc.

Greg Robinson
These have never had the collector appeal that the MK I 1918 knife did, even though the 1917 was actually used in combat during WWI, and the 1918 probably wasnt.

There is some truth to this.....but the 1917/1918 trench knives hold their own in the collectibles market. About ten years ago a Canadien dealer sold me an "ACC" w/o scabbard....condition was just "good to very good".... for about $80. I had it about a year and doubled my money on the resale. And shortly after that I bought a MINT unissued "ACC" w/scabbard from Andrew Lipps for $250. I should have kept it longer 'cause that would easily be a $500-$600 piece today. The simple truth is ALL of the "trench knives are hot sellers if condition is high. And a proper scabbard always accounts for half or more of the total value.

Spathologist
I just bought an unissued LF&C with scabbard for $550. It looks mint and I had to quit taking it out of the scabbard as I didn't want to scrape the pristine blade.

Not trying to be an rump, but...what good is it? You can't look at it, which for me would certainly decrease the enjoyment of having it. I think that jumped the fence from "collection" to "investment"...

There was a pretty nice LF&C at the Iola outdoor show.No scabbard and asking price was $175.Dont think it sold as I saw it on sunday and Im sure the guy would deal.

RON

There is some truth to this.....but the 1917/1918 trench knives hold their own in the collectibles market. About ten years ago a Canadien dealer sold me an "ACC" w/o scabbard....condition was just "good to very good".... for about $80. I had it about a year and doubled my money on the resale. And shortly after that I bought a MINT unissued "ACC" w/scabbard from Andrew Lipps for $250. I should have kept it longer 'cause that would easily be a $500-$600 piece today. The simple truth is ALL of the "trench knives are hot sellers if condition is high. And a proper scabbard always accounts for half or more of the total value.

Greg,

Your right, and I have more than a couple, but MK I 1918s are fetching over $1000 now in mint condition. I think as a rule the 1918 model has always been worth 2-4 times as much as a 1917 in similar condition.

Cheers!

Jeb

Not trying to be an rump, but...what good is it? You can't look at it, which for me would certainly decrease the enjoyment of having it. I think that jumped the fence from "collection" to "investment"...

I didn't say I didn't look at it, it is prominently displayed with the rest of my WWI equipment, I just don't take it out a lot so that I don't scratch it up or loosen it unnecessarily. It has survived 90 years looking good, I don't need to ruin it in my time.

As for jumping the fence, if you are paying money for an object that you are collecting, what is the difference between collecting and investment? Everything I have in my mini-museum is part of my collection and is also an investment. I hope that after I pass this on to my daughter, that she can use it to her financial benefit.

Well, it looks like I overpriced mine and I will correct price. I just sold a Mk.1 made by AU LION with scabbard for $500.00 where most I saw were listed around $750.00..Thanks to all Again thumbsup.gif . Cheers, Kev

post-3273-1219909034.jpg

post-3273-1219909058.jpg

• 7 months later...
mark headlee
Relisted the M1917 for $200.00 in the for sale section thumbsup.gif .. Thanks all.

Sir,

Do you still have this knife for sale, I may be interested.

Sir,

Do you still have this knife for sale, I may be interested.

Wow, Sorry Mark but it sold pretty quick.

shrapneldude

As far as WWI Combat use, the only M1918's that were used were the Au Lions because they were locally available, as they were manufactured in France.

The LF&C and others sat in boxes in warehouses until WWII and were issued to Airborne troops and such and used there...so that "jumps" their value quite a bit. But for a WWI Collector, the only brass handled trench knives to have seen issue during combat were the Au Lion.

Frank Trzaska
But for a WWI Collector, the only brass handled trench knives to have seen issue during combat were the Au Lion.

I would agree with you in theory... but can you prove it? Photos? Documents? Primary Sources?

All the best

Frank Trzaska

I would agree with you in theory... but can you prove it? Photos? Documents? Primary Sources?

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Frank beat me to it with the question. Since the MK I 1918 has always been my first collecting love I'd like to believe what you say, that they were used in WWI, but I've never been able to find any reference to back that up.

shrapneldude

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Trench_knife

That's the first one I found on the web...probably a few others running the same type of write-up. But I've seen an Au Lion come out of a trunk grouping to a WWI veteran.

At the risk of embarassing myself too much, I'll retract my definite statement that the Au Lions were used in WWI combat, but I can say with relative certainty that they were available to US servicemen in the AEF Sectors of France during and / or just after the hostilities ended for WWI. But I am man enough to say I made a bold statement based on things I've taken as fact from older collectors with a lot of experience in collecting but I've never seen any definitive hard proof one way or the other.

I got the Au Lion from the estate of a 2nd Division vet's estate along with his Helmet and other items. He passed away in 79 and his wife followed him in 98 when I picked it up, they were good friend's of my great uncle who was in the Army Air Corp in WW1 and hence my mother was aware of these thing's and sent them my way. It does not prove use I guess but I can't see why he would have had it if he did not use it. I also got some real German bring back Item's, Iron Cross, M1916 helmet, belt with a Luger holster, gas mask and a few other item's. I do know that the guy I sold it to had told me that this make was the only one that was used by our force's in combat in that war. thumbsup.gif

I forgot that the guy pointed out after he bought it that the handle had been blackened and stated that showed combat use. I should have held on to it a bit longer I guess but I think the same thing about the helmet.

• 13 years later...
On 8/22/2008 at 12:09 PM, Spathologist said:

Well gee whiz, thats what pictures are for! I kid, I kid. I do have a pretty nice one, but at 110+ years old, I dont think drawing it from its sheath is going to hurt a thing, plus I keep the blade coated in a light film of grease both for corrosion protection and ease of draw. Now, I am not LARPing around the living room, stabbing the couch cushions as if they are Germans on the front line, but drawing the "blade" every now and again to admire and inspect isn't going to hurt a thing in my opinion.

I became somewhat deflated when I started reading this thread today, the pricing estimates were NOT what I hoped. Then I looked again and finally noticed it was a 15 year old thread! My spirits are lifted!