WW1 Era Aircraft Auxiliary Generator Scimitar Propeller

TALLYHO

A rare wooden auxiliary generator scimitar propeller with copper or high copper content brass cuffs. Being 2` in length it was bolted onto the shaft of a generator which in turn was mounted to a strut on the aircraft. The propeller would be turned by forced air when the aircraft was in flight as well as the back wash of the aircraft`s own propeller(s). The generator was capable of generating up to 500 watts to power on board radios and the heated flight suits that were just coming onto the scene. More than likely this type propeller was used on the large Curtiss flying boats such as the H-16.

The Great Lakes Naval Station Illinois, was approved by Theodore Roosevelt in 1904 and dedicated in 1911. In 1936 aviation training was moved to Glenview Illinois.

post-6195-0-89775000-1450539556.jpg

post-6195-0-58384900-1450539573.jpg

post-6195-0-68713200-1450539584.jpg

post-6195-0-28879700-1450539602.jpg

post-6195-0-10104000-1450539616.jpg

Wow, that is a really neat historic piece!! A Great Wall hanger and keeper!!!

Today's aircraft still use the same technology for emergency power.

Chris

Wow, that is a really neat historic piece!! A Great Wall hanger and keeper!!!

Today's aircraft still use the same technology for emergency power.

Chris

The RAT......

Thanks again, Unfortunately my wife considers it junk and has no appreciation of the historical significance of what I collect, much less hanging it on the walls. Anybody else out there having to deal with that attitude? I can`t be alone on this.

You are not alone. I am the only one in my family who cares about this stuff, but luckily I also have my own room where it is displayed. My wife tolerates it becuase she knows it's important to me. (It mostly consists of family related items.)

I was able to instill in my son the importance of preserving these pieces of history, less we forget the sacrifices of those who went before us. As time has gone by so much of this has fallen to the wayside. In these days of social media you would lucky if you can garnish a scant few moments of ones attention away from their smart phone.to verbally communicate anything. Anyway, thanks and keep the faith, it may be all we have.