What kind of jump boots?

Kate

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out with the following:

About 15 years ago I bought a pair of jump boots; now I am wondering whether these are actually proper Corcoran repros or something else??

I didn't use to wear them all that much because I used to get blisters (perhaps because they are slightly too large) and because they don't usually fit everyday's dress codes; I have however been wearing them quite a lot recently (to hell with dress code) and feel comfortable, even though they still are slightly too large, I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Kate

post-161453-0-92413000-1450477862.jpgpost-161453-0-21689100-1450477877.jpg

Raidercollector

Those that look to me WW2 jump Boots corcoron, Brown dried ones are ww2. Maybe used after WW2. I would not wear those. They are worth a few bucks,

Nick

I was thinking post war as well. Still a nice pair of boots. Any military brown boots are getting harder to find. I have a pair a got from a Vet when I was 17. I wore them a few times :) and put them away. I still have them. There on my mannequin. 40 years later. Imagine that.... :)

The repros or more modern made have a man made welt that tends to be black in color.Older ones have leather welts.The one pictured in the post looks black.

Is there any other writing or stamps on the inner top?

Real Corcoran jump boot. Circa 1990. These were made in brown for re-enactors. The white inked markings and the black welts are clear indicators that they are NOT WWII, Korea era, or even Vietnam era boots.

Allan

(I couldn't post sooner because I've only just registered here and the system wouldn't let me.)

Thank you all very much for your replies!

I'm glad the boots are proper Corcoran ones - do you know whether they still make this model? It seems to be pretty close to the original? If these can still be bought I am thinking about getting a smaller size and giving my pair away, although I have grown awfully fond of them.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your quick help (and for the nice feedback)!

Cheers!
Kate

THey still make it in brown.The pattern of the half sole has changed.Its not the typical waffle pattern on the current boots.

One other thing the older Corcorans were made in Stoughton Massachusetts.They moved to Tennesee as I recall a few years ago.

Cobra 6 Actual

(I couldn't post sooner because I've only just registered here and the system wouldn't let me.)

Thank you all very much for your replies!

I'm glad the boots are proper Corcoran ones - do you know whether they still make this model? It seems to be pretty close to the original? If these can still be bought I am thinking about getting a smaller size and giving my pair away, although I have grown awfully fond of them.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your quick help (and for the nice feedback)!

Cheers!

Kate

If you want to keep your existing pair you might experiment with wearing two pairs of socks: try one thin and one thicker pair or if that doesn't do it, try two thick pairs. I usually can sort out slightly different boot sizing with this method.

Regards,

C6A

@ Doyler: It would be stupid to give my pair away then, even more so as I can't really afford buying a new pair just now - and they're probably more expensive in Europe, too.

@C6A: Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try! What kind of socks do you recommend?

The downside of wearing two pairs of socks is that my feet are probably gonna sweat even more, and as it is the boots already don't smell all that great anymore :/

Cobra 6 Actual

@ Doyler: It would be stupid to give my pair away then, even more so as I can't really afford buying a new pair just now - and they're probably more expensive in Europe, too.

@C6A: Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try! What kind of socks do you recommend?

The downside of wearing two pairs of socks is that my feet are probably gonna sweat even more, and as it is the boots already don't smell all that great anymore :/

Well, I use US issue military boot socks with the cushioned foot area. Actually, these are great socks! In the US a pair would cost about $10. But, if two pair of these doesn't give you a better fit, then try one pair of GI socks and one pair of wool socks.

Also, to "freshen up" your boots some people just use Fabreeze spray or place individual sheets in the boots. Good luck!

Well, I use US issue military boot socks with the cushioned foot area. Actually, these are great socks! In the US a pair would cost about $10. But, if two pair of these doesn't give you a better fit, then try one pair of GI socks and one pair of wool socks.

Also, to "freshen up" your boots some people just use Fabreeze spray or place individual sheets in the boots. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll see if I can get anything similar to US mil socks over here and experiment with two pairs. What exactly are GI socks?

So far I've always worn wool socks, been told you don't get blisters in these (and so far I haven't).

Will keep you posted and upload another picture of the boots freshly cleaned and with new laces :)

Cobra 6 Actual

Hi Kate --

They look like this:

post-159798-0-72648600-1450659059.jpeg

And, here's the description:

"The anti-microbial military boot sock made to US specs is 82% cotton, 2.5% silver plaited nylon, 10% nylon, 5.5% spandex. The silver fiber incorporated in this sock is a broad spectrum anti-microbial yarn that actually touches the skin, kills bacteria on contact, completely eliminates foot odor, offers enhanced blister resistance, and moisture transportation."

Note that you do NOT want the "tube sock style", but instead want the regular boot sock with a sewn heel and toe area. Hope this helps.

Kate,

Second to what C6A said about two pairs of socks IF you are going to wear the boots. Also, we used to take a razor blade and slit the flap (tongue ?) behind the laces for a much better fit/feel. Stink?? "It don't mean nothin". They're boots. Enjoy the full experience.

Ken

@C6A: Thank you for the clarification - will look out for those.

@Skautdog: I'm kinda reluctant to do any cutting on the boots, I don't think they'd appreciate it. As it is, I'm pre-emptively scared of them falling apart one day and there being no proper replacements :D.

As for the smell, you got a point there. And as long as I don't take them off at work on in the packed communters' train, I guess it's safe enough...

By the way, how should they be laced? (The old laces are in bad shape, ordered leather ones)

Cobra 6 Actual

By the way, how should they be laced? (The old laces are in bad shape, ordered leather ones)

The way you have them laced in your Post #2, above is correct. There are fancy ways to lace the boots such as these US Air Force Police have done:

post-159798-0-25302600-1450831427.jpeg

(Photo from the Internet)

But, frankly, the way yours are laced is the same way that military boots would be laced +99% of the time.

Couple thoughts on wearing the boots:

1) a coat of polish applied and then brushed off will help the leather look better and be more waterproof. The polish will help to delay drying out the leather.

2) a pair of shoe trees will help them dry out better and retain the shape. Cedar is best, and will help to camoflage some of the odor.

3) foot powder (GI or civilian) is great stuff. The blue bottle Gold Bond brand is my favorite. But any of it is to help keep the feet dry.

4) I second the suggestions above about 2 pairs of socks.

Enjoy them! If you take care of them, you can expect 20 years of use.

Steve

Another thing that can absorb odors is dryer sheets you put in with laundry.

I have used them with uniforms and head gear that have been subject to cigarette smoke, mildew odor etc.

Place items in a scalable large plastic bag with one or two sheets and leave sealed for a week or two.

With boots I would place one in each boot.If you want to bag and seal it should work the same .

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I got some polish and will (try to) follow the how-to posted somewhere on this site on spit-shining boots.

By the way, seems to work quite well with one pair of thick socks, feels comfy anyway.

To all those who wear Corcorans on a regular-ish basis: What's your experience with them on slippery surfaces (ice, frost, wet ground in general)?