ID help

I was at the local jewelry shop; the watchmaker there finally finished repairing my watch. It came up that I'd served on a submarine, and he asked if I'd be interested in and old set of dolphins. Sure. $50 sounded like a reasonable deal. I gather they're Meyer. The pins look short to me, (in comparison to modern pins). So with what little knowledge I possess, I am guessing they're WWII? But then, I am thinking there are indications that the pins have been relocated (or that this didn't even have pins originally based on the bright spot at the top center).

post-161455-0-48859000-1450476711.jpg

post-161455-0-05925200-1450476713.jpg

Apparently silver frogs are infinitely better because I can't tell you how many modern ones I've lost.

post-161455-0-82941400-1450476713.jpg

Very nice WW2 example. Shorter posts are usually associated with WW2 era manufacturer (modern badges often have longer clutch posts). $50 was a great deal.

Very cool. Thanks for helping out...

I was on ALASKA. We had a set of solid gold dolphins that came from wayyy back. And they stayed with the boat. The guy who had them would wear them until the end of his tour, then he'd get them engraved with the initials of the junior-most qualified guy, and pass them along at his Hail and Fairwell party.

I was not one of the guys who wore those ones, but it was still pretty cool. I'm half tempted to mail these to C.O. USS USTAFISH and tell him to stick them on the next junior officer he qualifies.

These are mine.

post-161455-0-85206700-1450574464.jpg

Not minty, but that's what happens when you dive bilges and tanks for a living (in port we wore the wash khakis as opposed to the poopy suits w/ cloth patches or the blue berry's they wear now). I got a bonus patrol. 3 of us reported aboard the same day. One took a shore tour, and he left after 4 patrols. Between me and my other buddy; one was going to do 5 and the other 6. Other buddy wanted to go back to school after the 5th patrol, and I had no real plans. So I took 6 plus a couple months extra, which got me a decent nuclear officer retention check. The big downside was that I got a couple months in the yard.

I did find a old cloth dolphins in a crevice of the ship's store locker early on there. This was in the mid 90's when there were a couple 637 boats prowling the seas (STURGEON class). We had 2 Chiefs at the time who'd served on D-boats. I snatched those dolphins up for $2 and stitched them onto the pock-marked hand-me-down poopy suit that I wore into the battery well. The Captain was the only one onboard that had a similar patch. It's on my shooting coat now--I'll get a picture a little later and post it for prosperity.

Ty

732 (GOLD) 96-00