"It's an Ace Novelty" USN & USCG Patch Manufacturers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Task Group Delta - ASW weapons and tactics development

In the early 1960's, the staff of the Commander, Patrol Wings Atlantic in Norfolk, VA established Task Group Delta, which was a central point within the Navy for developing and improving air ASW tactics and procedures making significant advances in airborne ASW effectiveness vs. the nuclear submarine. They began with the Martin P5M-2 Marlin seaplane and VP-45 developing tactics to be used with the "new" technological advances as the USN transitioned into the P-3 Orion series, the mainstay of USN Cold War airborne ASW platforms throughout the globe.

VP-45 Cruise Book 1962 see page 11 for patch in wear on flight jacket http://www.vp45association.org/_cruisebooks/cruise_book_62_63.pdf

Task Group Delta ASW Ace Novelty 001.jpg

Task Group Delta ASW Ace Novelty 002.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great stuff! I have a few hundred ACE patches, but all are USAF. A few observations from what I've gleaned over the years: The tags started about 1960, brown at first and towards the end of the 60s became blue. These were used into the 80s when they became black. The youngest ACE patch I know of was done in 1988, a 22 TFS F-15 Eagle driver. ACE was actually many different shops working for one guy. In the later 70s he contracted most (but not all) work out to Taiwan, that's why you see those thicker ( many merrowed) handmade patches around then. By the 80s he started computer made ones as well. Also did bullion ones in the 60s at least, maybe later. As always, there are exceptions, this is just a general overview. Hope this helps.

Randy

MSgt USAF (Ret)

Thanks Randy, perhaps you zoomies will start up an Ace Novelty reference topic on the USAF board

Aircraft Carrier USS AMERICA (CV-66) Made for the Shellback Initiation in June 1977, Atlantic Ocean

I'd like to, but there don't seem to be too many of my fellow zoomies out there! One guy tried to start a few other USAF related threads, but he and I were the only posters. It's an Army world... ;)

Randy

MSgt USAF (Ret)

• 2 months later...
Aggressive class USS BOLD (MSO-424) In service 1953 to 1971 with the Mine Force Atlantic & Sixth Fleets

Yet another example of a ship that never served in the Pacific but had their patches made by Ace Novelty, Tokyo, Japan

MSO 424 USS BOLD Ace Novelty 001.jpg

MSO 424 USS BOLD Ace Novelty 002.jpg

• 1 month later...