"It's an Ace Novelty" USN & USCG Patch Manufacturers

Aloha Everyone,

This is a reference topic specifically for USN (or USCG) patches manufactured by Ace Novelty Tokyo, Japan, with the label attached

They were primarily suppliers to the units of the Pacific and Sixth Fleet (Staff, Surface, Aviation, Support, etc) from the late 1950's to 1980 but I've also seen their patches made for Atlantic Fleet USN commands who participated in the Indian Ocean - Persian Gulf area (Gonzo Station) during the Iran Hostage Crisis (1980) They were particular favorites of USN auxiliaries and aviation squadrons during the Vietnam War.

There are many, many Ace Novelty patches out there, especially rate/division/cruise specific and a ton for Naval Aviation units. Many of these patches are in our collections without the stick on labels as they were often removed or fell off. We may 'know' that they are Ace Novelty, but please only post those with the labels attached.

Please post any examples you have of Japanese Ace Novelty patches as a forum reference

USS TATNUCK ATA-195 In service 1945 to 1971

ATA 195 USS TATNUCK Ace Novelty 001.jpg

ATA 195 USS TATNUCK Ace Novelty 002.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....now, despite what I just requested of you all, here is an example of how the labels were attached to the patches. They were attached by glue which would often dry out and over time the labels would work loose.

USCG AIR STATION SITKA ALASKA

CGAS SITKA ALASKA Ace Novelty 001a.jpg

CGAS SITKA ALASKA Ace Novelty 002a.jpg

Unfortunately, Ace Novelty ceased production just after the 1980 Iranian Hostage Crisis. The EISENHOWER battle group was one of their last customers as she steamed out to the Indian Ocean to establish Gonzo Station

USS EISENHOWER CVN-69 SSES NAVSECGRUDIV 1980 CRUISE

CVN 69 USS EISENHOWER NAVSECGRUDIV 1980 Ace Novelty 001a.jpg

CVN 69 USS EISENHOWER NAVSECGRUDIV 1980 Ace Novelty 002a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Reverse - Photo PINTADO with DSRV MYSTIC ready for deployement

"...Following her year of routine training, Pintado deployed to the Western Pacific in August 1977. She was operating with Republic of Korea Navy vessels on 6 December 1977 when a South Korean surface ship abruptly turned toward her. She executed a crash dive, but the two ships collided, and Pintado sustained damage to the top of her rudder. She returned to San Diego in February 1978...."

SSN 672 USS PINTADO West Pac 1977 1978 Ace Novelty 002.jpg

USS_Pintado_(SSN-672).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another great reference Salvage Sailor.You can see the timeline where the company began transitioning to the "computer" generated pieces.My favorite is the Grayback patch.I saw that one on eBay and had thought about going for it.Looks like you got to it before me :lol:

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

Yep,

Here's another

USS NIMITZ (CVN-68) Seasparrow - Phalanx close in weapons system circa 1978 from a Gunners Mate

Reality check: The USN removed most of our guns as they were deemed "redundant" in the 1960's missile age. Around 1973 the bad guys realized that any speedboat than got under our Terrier missile or 5" 38 cal minimum range could literally run rings around our ships since the nimwits removed our 20mm and 40mm guns. Ever try to stop a torpedo or suicide boat with an M-14? Thus - the immediate implementation of the Sea Sparrow and Phalanx (gatling gun) close in weapons system.

CVN 68 USS NIMITZ Seasparrow Ace Novelty 001.jpg

CVN 68 USS NIMITZ Seasparrow Ace Novelty 002.jpg

• 4 months later...

one more for the collection

post-87654-0-20701700-1467322272.jpg

Pvt. James H. Honey 1st Md. Eastern shore Vol. Inf. Co. D (union) Gettysburg
Pvt. George Eddie Lear 26th Inf. Co.H 1st Div .(WW1) P.H. WIA Cpl. Richard Elsea 268th C.A. Bn. Battery A. WW2 SSgt. Grant Elsea 314th Inf. Hq.Co. I.R.79thDiv. WW2
Cpl. Harry Lawrence Butler Jr 23rd Regt. WIA Korea Lt. George Olin Tilghman 111th MG. 29th Div. WW1 DIS France 1919
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

front of patch

post-87654-0-78967500-1467322355.jpg

Pvt. James H. Honey 1st Md. Eastern shore Vol. Inf. Co. D (union) Gettysburg
Pvt. George Eddie Lear 26th Inf. Co.H 1st Div .(WW1) P.H. WIA Cpl. Richard Elsea 268th C.A. Bn. Battery A. WW2 SSgt. Grant Elsea 314th Inf. Hq.Co. I.R.79thDiv. WW2
Cpl. Harry Lawrence Butler Jr 23rd Regt. WIA Korea Lt. George Olin Tilghman 111th MG. 29th Div. WW1 DIS France 1919
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

ASMIC did a great article a few years ago by George Petersen and it was an interview with the owner of Ace Novelty and he gave a history of the company. I believe it was published shortly after the owner passed away.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif