USMC P28 Pack Mess Kit Pouch

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

It has been a while since I have heard any thoughts about the Boyt 42 marked P28 packs that don't have the "US" marks on them being USMC issue. I plucked this off of Ebay the other day. It came from a vet's estate. It is an altered mess kit pouch that has what I believe to be a gas mask bag leg strap attached as a shoulder strap......

post-115-0-50267700-1450459966.jpg

Schnicklfritz

... and on the inside of the pouch flap is the USMC mark and the early hollow letter, offset Boyt 42 marking. I have yet to see any of the M28 packs marked in such a fashion, but I would call this a smoking gun that Boyt had contracts from the USMC to make M28 packs. Has anyone seen the M28 pack marked in such a fashion? Thoughts?

post-115-0-32804900-1450460302.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

I've definitely seen them used by Marines, but there are others on here with more knowledge of authentic markings than myself...

Schnicklfritz

Yes, the M28 was used by the Marines. I was referring more towards contracts let to Boyt to make the packs vs the USMC Depot made packs. Sorry for not being clearer.

Hello,

I could be wrong but in my opinion, the markings are faked ... the hollow BoyT letters are very suspicious :huh:

Just my 2 cts ... E

Hello,

I could be wrong but in my opinion, the markings are faked ... the hollow BoyT letters are very suspicious :huh:

Just my 2 cts ... E

I agree.

Schnicklfritz

Well, something new for me. I was always under the impression that the offset, hollow Boyt lettering was in short use first, then followed by the offset, solid lettering and finally the evenly lettered stamp. I have seen it before on other, but not many, pieces of gear, all Army if I remember correctly. First time I have seen it with a USMC Stamp.

I see from looking on line that Boyt Harness Company is still in business. I'm going to contact them to see if they might be able to clarify. Back to this when/if I hear from them.

Merry Christmas!

Well, something new for me. I was always under the impression that the offset, hollow Boyt lettering was in short use first, then followed by the offset, solid lettering and finally the evenly lettered stamp. I have seen it before on other, but not many, pieces of gear, all Army if I remember correctly. First time I have seen it with a USMC Stamp.

I see from looking on line that Boyt Harness Company is still in business. I'm going to contact them to see if they might be able to clarify. Back to this when/if I hear from them.

Merry Christmas!

Hi,

even the very rare 1941 dated Boyt items do have solid letters ...

E

Schnicklfritz

Arrgh, don't I feel foolish. This stamp is definitely a total fabrication.... and I fell for the old.."Straight out of the vet's estate" gag without checking it better before I bought it...

Yes Etienne, you are correct. I checked some of my other gear. I don't know what I was thinking.... well, at least it wasn't a champaign rune SS helmet!

Arrgh, don't I feel foolish. This stamp is definitely a total fabrication.... and I fell for the old.."Straight out of the vet's estate" gag without checking it better before I bought it...

Yes Etienne, you are correct. I checked some of my other gear. I don't know what I was thinking.... well, at least it wasn't a champaign rune SS helmet!

Just wishful thinking, my friend ... we all experienced that at one time or another ;)

Just wishful thinking, my friend ... we all experienced that at one time or another ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Schnicklfritz

Wow, sent the thing back to the dude and behold, it is back on Ebay and he has attempted to scrub off the Boyt part of the stamp. Hate to tell him but the USMC stamp is also totally wrong also.