USMC Cold weather/Tanker jacket UNIS marked

doyler

Well worn and showing repairs.The zipper looks to be a replacement from a M41 or USN N1 deck jacket.There appears to be a name stamped in the collar knit but not readable.Have no other info on its use or owner.The marking reads 19 and 2124.THe box marking is associated with the 5th Mar Div

post-342-0-93215600-1450423494.jpg

post-342-0-68166700-1450423509.jpg

Great jacket with great character! It seems hard to find tanker/winter jackets. Very cool to find them with some personality.

Frank

Ron, terrific pick up! The unis marking alone on a tanker jacket is rare enough to find regardless of the condition of the jacket! Thanks for posting, really nice find. Wonder what the "19" stands for??

Very best!

Bill K.

Raidercollector

Real nice tanker jacket. A RARE fine indeed. To bad you can't read the name for research . Could be one on the Tankers on IWO.Maybe the 19 stands for his tank number.? just a thought.

Nick

Raidercollector

Their where 150 M4's on Iwo, 3 Tank Bn, From what I read 50 where knocked out. The 5th had at least 50 M4's. So ,the Number 19 may fall in that range,Just my Thought. I could be wrong. But if it is,How Kool would that be.

Nick

Raidercollector

The highest Sherman M4 tank number I have seen in a photo has been 47 so far.I'm sure their is higher numbers.

Nick

Nick/Ron -

Could well be the tank number, I thought of that too. I would be remiss if I did not mention here that this is the first I have seen of a possible 5th Tank Battalion UNIS mark. The infantry regiments (represented by the 2nd number of the code) were 6,7,8 respectively. The question is, does the number 1 here represent the 5th Tank Battalion or, like in the 4th Marine Div., the 1 or 100 series represented HQ for the division. Knowing the name would solve that question but looks like too mangled on this jacket to see. Still, fun to speculate. :)

Again, still a fantastic find!!!!!!

Very best,

Bill

• 5 years later...

Bringing this back up to see if any more info has surfaced on 5th Division markings