Not your typical souvenir

doyler

Going through a small lot of insignia I had gotten a few years ago I came across a small metal piece in the bottom of the box.It was brass in appearance and had a bit of wieght to it.In the center it had a nice machined hole.Also was a small scrap of paper with a piece of twine/cord wrapped around it.I hadnt paid to much attention to it and continued looking throught the ribbons and other items.Once sorted through it dawned on me the paper was about the size of the odd piece of brass.

post-342-0-78317300-1450422324.jpg

When I opened the paper I saw this written on the paper.

I have seen a lot of things brought back by veterans but this has to be one of the more unusual things.

I read it as

"Window LATCH Off of the H.M.S Queen Mary"

Appears the latch had been wrapped in the paper but came out of one end.

post-342-0-17924400-1450422825.jpg

wow i wonder how they got that, wonder if they got it before or after it was sunk? either way seems weird... only reasonable explanation i can think is they were first to the scene and they took wreckage from the water?

regardless, that is a pretty cool piece!

Not sure but all the items were from a soldier of the 1st infantry division and appeared to be occupation era.The ribbon bars are all mounted to be sewn on and a couple have German wool backing.There are a half dozen woven CIB badges that are german made.

Typical GI behavior to take pieces off your transport ship as you disembark... which means someone had to later go through and replace everything that was missing!

Rather than being from the HMS Queen Mary, which was sunk during the Battle of Jutland in 1916, I would suggest the GI actually meant RMS Queen Mary, the luxury liner which was converted into a troop ship during WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary

Thanks Matt

I agree its from the transport liner.Vet just wrote it this way.Probablt didnt know the differance

Matt.

You could always send a pic to the museum in Long Beach to see if it matches. But you never know the ship may have been refitted after the war.

Never know what somebody keeps for a souvenir.

I cut a piece from a parachute I jumped once.

Also got a compass I took from a crashed C130.

Saw a funny show once where a guy was kidnapped by aliens and held on a spaceship.

When asked if he could prove it, he said, "I got a knob."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If authentic, probably one of the only pieces you will find like this.

I gave it to friend..guess if its fake he will have to decide............. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I posted a similar Queen Mary souvenir in March and nobody even commented.

BKW

Maybe something to do with pieces like this being hard to identify. Im not really sure.