Removing rust stains/storage stains in khaki pants

cmjordan77

Hi,

I have a mint pair of khaki's WWII, with a mint tag on the inside dated Jan 1945. These have some rough looking storage stains, almost rust looking. Any suggestions of getting these removed?

Also, is there a way to get stuff like this out WITHOUT damaging a Cloth manuf. tag? I had a pair of MINT M43's that smelled ROUGH! THere were beautiful, no stains, and the tag inside the pants was SUPERB. Well, I was a genious, and washed them, I had the big idea of taping off the tag in a manner that would completely encase the tag thinking I would save the tag and get the smell out.

Of course, Tag destroyed, and pants still have Slight smell, but not nearly as bad. The only thing left is I saved a Picture of the tag I took before I washed it just in case I ruined it.

Thank you

Hi,

I have a mint pair of khaki's WWII, with a mint tag on the inside dated Jan 1945. These have some rough looking storage stains, almost rust looking. Any suggestions of getting these removed?

Also, is there a way to get stuff like this out WITHOUT damaging a Cloth manuf. tag? I had a pair of MINT M43's that smelled ROUGH! THere were beautiful, no stains, and the tag inside the pants was SUPERB. Well, I was a genious, and washed them, I had the big idea of taping off the tag in a manner that would completely encase the tag thinking I would save the tag and get the smell out.

Of course, Tag destroyed, and pants still have Slight smell, but not nearly as bad. The only thing left is I saved a Picture of the tag I took before I washed it just in case I ruined it.

Thank you

For smells I use lots of Febreeze and hang things outside for a couple of days.

Thanks,

THere is no smell to the Khakis. Its just the rust/storage stains. The other pair I was describing had the smell, but I already ruined the manuf. tag in them.

Not wanting to ruin in the one in the Khaki's

Thanks

There are various solutions designed to remove rust stains, but the most basic of them is to put lemon juice on it, add salt and put in bright sunlight for the high UV to help the chemical reaction.

But then anything you do leaves a chance you'll damage or stain the item.

if the the rust is not 'in' the fabric just from contacting something else, try vacuuming it- that is the least dangerous and can often pull out enough of the particulates.

Yeah, its in the fabric. I am thinking its not rust, but more of storage stains that are brown. It is really in where the pants were folded.

• 5 months later...

The only thing that I have found to remove the brown storage stains is oxyclean soak your item for as long as it takes sometimes overnight rinse in cool water and hang to dry, press with warm iron when almost dry as for the tag the only thing you can do is remove it and sew it back in when you are done you can set the stitch length on your sewing machine so that it goes through the original thread holes I have done this about twenty times and seems to work like a charm thumbsup.gif

The only thing that I have found to remove the brown storage stains is oxyclean soak your item for as long as it takes sometimes overnight rinse in cool water and hang to dry, press with warm iron when almost dry as for the tag the only thing you can do is remove it and sew it back in when you are done you can set the stitch length on your sewing machine so that it goes through the original thread holes I have done this about twenty times and seems to work like a charm thumbsup.gif

Do you think that would work on a Mills web belt, circa 1898? I have a tan, 100 round belt that is in beautiful condition but it has several nondiscript stains and discoloration. I would like to lessen if not totally eliminate these but was hesitant to do too much for fear it would harm the cotton webbing.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks for the tip Auto! Gonna have to try that with some of my Khakis! thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...