Salvage Sailor

"It's a Gemsco" USN & USCG Patch Manufacturers

Awesome collection of patches! Please don't hurt me but I remember digging thru my dads Navy stuff when I was a kid and pulling patches off these cards.

Awesome collection of patches! Here are my two Gemsco carded patches. The Ray and the Runner submarines. Please disregard the other two non Gemsco patches, this is an older photo.

Chris

post-10825-0-07180700-1454852910.jpeg

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)

Mitscher class Destroyer Leader (DL-3) commissioned in 1953, motto "Crusader For Peace" - Named for the naval patriarch Admiral John Sidney "Slew" McCain USNA 1906, who died in service 1945.

Decommissioned in 1966 and converted to a Guided Missile Destroyer. Recommissioned as DDG-36 in 1969 when this Gemsco patch was made with the new Latin motto, "Praestate", i.e. "Excel"

DDG 36 USS JOHN S. McCAIN Gemsco 001.jpg

DDG 36 USS JOHN S. McCAIN Gemsco 002.jpg

My father served aboard Yorktown during the 60s and gave me this patch when he returned home. It hung on the wall of my room for a long time when I was a kid.

Wharf

post-525-0-18191700-1461638599.jpg

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

U.S. NAVY MOTION PICTURE SERVICE - Serving the Fleet - Morale - 1963 Gemsco red card no zip code

They supplied the movie reels we would requisition at bases and stations to play on the mess decks aboard ship.

We would often swap movies via whaleboat or landing craft at sea with other ships when deployed.

US Navy Motion Picture Service Serving the Fleet Gemsco 001.jpg