North American Aviation AGM-28 Nuclear Missile Launch Control Panel for Boeing B-52 Bomber

Longbranch

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a large pile of vintage electronics from a semi-local repair shop that went out of business, and found this interesting item in the mix. The former owner appears to have purchased much of his inventory from government surplus auctions, so there was quite an eclectic selection of 1950s/60s military communications equipment in the lot. This particular item appears to be a North American Aviation "Panel Assembly- Launch Control Check Out" for the AGM-28 "Hound Dog" nuclear stand-off missile as used on Boeing B-52 Stratofortress bomber aircraft. The contract number on this unit does match up with AGM-28 production, as well as the B-52s AGM-28 payload being limited to the same two missiles indicated on this panel. If this is all true, I'd imagine it would have been installed on the B-52's lower deck "battle station".

Nonetheless, this item is a bit outside of my range of knowledge, so if anyone has any further info, feel free to add/correct as necessary.

post-11320-0-71348500-1450253293.jpg

post-11320-0-51841700-1450253299.jpg

would be cool to put 12 v bulbs in and find the power and the ground pin...light up ur dash I dig stuff like this...always cool conversation piece...not really useful unless u have the BUFF to go with it.... but heck maybe u do : )

would be cool to put 12 v bulbs in and find the power and the ground pin...light up ur dash I dig stuff like this...always cool conversation piece...not really useful unless u have the BUFF to go with it.... but heck maybe u do : )

LOL. Yeah, it'd look pretty neat all lit up, but I'll probably leave it as-is. Makes a pretty cool little piece of Cold War history. It's pretty crazy to think that this little panel could have been at the center of a nuclear war. Nuts, really!

I'd need an AGM-28 to go with the BUFF... I hear those are pretty hard to find, too!

• 1 year later...

There's an AGM-28 "Hound Dog" missile on display outside the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin AFB. I think most of them were destroyed back in the mid-'70s under the treaty negotiations with the former Soviet Union.