2nd Marine Division Vet

bellasilva

Had a brief, but amazing, encounter with a WWII 2nd Marine Division vet today.

Part of my job entails assisting people locate their vehicles when they've forgotten where they parked. An elderly woman approached me and stated she couldn't find her car, so I offered to have her hop in the SUV to go take a look. She said "hold on, I have to get my husband first, he's 91".

I swear to you with no exaggeration that at the moment I envisioned an elderly man with some sort of USMC ballcap, and out he walks with a 2nd Marine Division cap on.

As he walked up I greeted him and asked him where he served, and he fired of with no hesitation "Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa".

I literally stood there with my mouth open when he said "Yup, and they only shot me once". I couldn't find words to express my amazement. Anyway, I gave him and his wife the ride and eventually located their vehicle, while telling him I'd kill to sit down with him for a while to just hear him speak. He told me that he'd been to a couple reunions after the war and seemed quite proud of his service.

I absolutely unequivocally cherish these meetings and today was very, very special.

Mods, I accidentally put this in the wrong category, if one of you guys wouldn't mind dumping it in the veterans recollections category I'd appreciate it