Colt M-7 With M-4 Latch Plate? Odd.

jw517

As the price goes up you can see why someone would create a knife/bayonet like this. If you recall one of our forum members restored a green handled bayo not to long ago (missing latch?) and I believe it looked very good. Just saying. Maybe a few demiled bayos leaked out of an old collection and are working their way to the market. There I go again with the negative vibes.

That would be me, and like everyone else I'm watching this and hoping that whoever wins it will bring it to the forum for a closer look. Mine was certainly "mishandled" and the latch plate broke off. It was badly sharpened but the blade was never shortened. I don't know how someone would put an M4 latch plate on a production green handled M7 because the M7 latch plates were welded, and when broken off leave a very short piece of the tang; not enough to be able to peen the new latch plate on. I also don't see any marks on the blade indicating that the plate was peened on, as the blade would have gone in a vice to hold it while the tang was peened. So what's the verdict? I still don't know.

Adding metal to the end of a tang is no big trick, file and shape it to the original profile and the pommel/latch plate slips right over ready to be peened. Any discoloration is behind the pommel and under the handle out of sight. I've seen a knowing craftsman rehandle a knife via peening that left no indication of marring on the piece.

I don't know what this piece is or isn't. I too have been bothered by many of the things already pointed out. This seems like a classic case of deciding what you want to spend for the item verses the story. I have a pretty good list of things I could spend that much for that I feel more confident on "where they've been".

My opinion is modified. It is hard to comprehend doing something like this today but once upon a time they were more common and nothing more than another knife. People modified ground on, and destroyed over the years. This is the exact reason original examples are rare and have gone up in value. Not rare Prototype more like damaged and needs restored.

Based on the few that I've seen sell (actually, one) that seems to be in the ball park for an original green handled M7. Sure hope someone brings it here with more pictures and an opinion based on actually handling the bayonet.

I've paid for items only to have the seller cancel the sale and refund my money with no explanation. I notified Ebay but nothing ever came of it.

It's their property. If they refund your money your out the item. However,eBay may/can still charge the seller for the final value fee. This guy only had twenty some feed backs so he does not have a lot to lose .

735 views- 62 replies to this Topic and no real answer. So ends the topic I've renamed,"The Colt Conjecture"

Tune in next week to find out:

Did the buyer get his Colt M-7?

Did the Seller make good on the EBay Transaction?

Will the seller get a Crippling NEG on the Bay?

?

Unless the buyer is a member, and actually got it, we may never know. The listing was pulled soon after the auction ended, don't know if the buyer actually had time to pay for it before the seller closed the listing. Maybe decided he wanted more for it so just did not let the buyer pay? Anyone know?

I doubt it unless he is a member. If he is,he will I would think. I don't think it was real appropriate for the seller to tell me that information.