WW2 USS Springfield Grouping

HeavyMetalHistoryBuff

HeavyMetalHistoryBuff

For my first post to the USMF, I would like to share one of my most recent accquistions.

I found this grouping on eBay and immediately jumped on it (after a little negotiation that is). My search for a USS Springfield grouping was spurred by a friend of my father who is a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps who was looking for pieces named to the Springfield to complete a display for the son of a USN vet who was on the Springfield after World War two.

With the said, the grouping is named to Leonard Clark Ziegler of Roanoke, Virginia. He enlisted in 1944 and was stationed on the USS Springfield from September 9th, 1944 to January of 1946 as a Seaman 1st Class. During that time period, the Springfield only participated in two campaigns in the PTO: the Battle of Okinawa and the bombing of ther Ryukus/Japanese homeland. After returning home in 1946 Ziegler joined the USNR until being discharged in 1956.

post-161355-0-67196200-1450036816.jpg

HeavyMetalHistoryBuff

Ziegler's ID card, Order of the Golden dragon card, ribbon card, selective service and registartion cards, and physical fitness test pass card

post-161355-0-78446700-1450043530.jpg

HeavyMetalHistoryBuff

Finally, USS Springfield plank owner's certificates given to those who were on the USS Springfield since September 9th, 1944 (Ziegler is present under the 2nd Division)

post-161355-0-12709500-1450043747.jpg

HeavyMetalHistoryBuff

Thanks. I have a thing for named and ship associated PTO Navy groupings. One of my favorite things to collect.

blitzkrieg gsd

Sure is a great way to start your collection out my friend. Very nice group to a great ship. These types of groups are not the easiest to find these days so good job on the find.

HeavyMetalHistoryBuff

Thanks, but this isn't my first grouping. I've been collecting for a little over 2 years and this was one of my most recent accquisitions. This was just my first post to the forum

• 1 month later...