All That Glitters… Gold Medals

Adam R

Hi. Herbert B. DeLlng was my dad. Can you please tell me more about the medals of his that you have? Do you have anymore? Are they for sale and how did you come across them? He left us with none of his medals. Last I heard he dontated them all to a gun club. One story i heard says he threw a handful of them into SanDiego bay when he got a medical discharge from the navy.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Brett DeLong

Wharf

Hi Brett_D,

You might want to send a personal message to COOKIEMAN directly with your inquiry. It seems like that person is the one that has your father's medals. COOKIEMAN may or may not see your post here. Just thought I'd make that suggestion. If you place your mouse on his name, you can choose "Send Message".

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello;

I was just perusing thru the site and came across your article on Gold medals. I noticed you stated that you had just acquired (2015) a large MVM group. I also collect MVM to include Massachusetts Naval Militia/Brigade and have written much on the MVM medals. I was interested in viewing the group. Would it be possible for you to place a photo here or if you wish send a photo to my e-mail address? I would reciprocate with a photo or two from my collection. I have added photos of a few of my MVM monographs.

John Gisetto Sr.

ASMIC

OMSA

img050.jpg

img059.jpg

img060.jpg

img062.jpg

• 9 months later...

Thanks for posting. Nice photo. Have you done any research for this officer? The "Massachusetts Military Archives" would be of great assistance to you.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

2 hours ago, mrgsmvm said:

Thanks for posting. Nice photo. Have you done any research for this officer? The "Massachusetts Military Archives" would be of great assistance to you.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

I have via Ancestry & Newspapers. 
He served from 1896-1919 then worked with the VA from 1923-1942. 

I don’t own this anymore, but thought id share this gold Grand Army of the Republic presentation award. 
William A. Bentley was born in Lebanon, Connecticut on November 30th 1837. In November of 1861, he enlisted and join Company H of the 9th Iowa Volunteer Infantry. His regiment which was under the command of Colonel William Vanderer, became known as the Iowa Greyhounds after their 60 mile march on March 5th 1862, to participate in the battle of Pea Ridge the following day. Bentley also participated in a number of small engagements. He was discharged in October of 62, due to being disabled. On August 9th 1920, Bentley passed away. He is buried in Los Angels National Cemetery in California.

6AEDF988-0D5C-4916-9BBD-C8FB192294F6.jpeg.95d45d8c585a2673a0706652450c6c40.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, Sweazy21 said:

I don’t own this anymore, but thought id share this gold Grand Army of the Republic presentation award. 
William A. Bentley was born in Lebanon, Connecticut on November 30th 1837. In November of 1861, he enlisted and join Company H of the 9th Iowa Volunteer Infantry. His regiment which was under the command of Colonel William Vanderer, became known as the Iowa Greyhounds after their 60 mile march on March 5th 1862, to participate in the battle of Pea Ridge the following day. Bentley also participated in a number of small engagements. He was discharged in October of 62, due to being disabled. On August 9th 1920, Bentley passed away. He is buried in Los Angels National Cemetery in California.

6AEDF988-0D5C-4916-9BBD-C8FB192294F6.jpeg.95d45d8c585a2673a0706652450c6c40.jpeg

Beautiful Piece Sweazy!