Odd patch

Plant#4

Here is a patch that came with some junk I bought off of ebay. Damaged, common and run of the mill , untill I turned it over. I had never seen one like this, let alone owned one. How common are they?

post-2156-1219326802.jpg

post-2156-1219326811.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver
Not unusual at all, really. It's a Radioman 2nd class USN Rating. Nicely dated at that. ;)

-Ski

ummmm... don't you see 1943 stitched on the bottom of the patch??

I have no idea why it is like that, but it is neat.

Cleaver

316th FS 324th FG
ummmm... don't you see 1943 stitched on the bottom of the patch??

I have no idea why it is like that, but it is neat.

Cleaver

Cleaver,

Ski did see the 1943. That is why he said it is "nicely dated".

It is not unusual to find USN ratings from WII dated with thread like this. There are several examples on this site. That doesnt make it any less fun to find them though.

D

VAWARMEMORIAL

You can find WWII rates with dates, makers names, anchors and other stuff stitched on the back, I used to collect them and at one point had 100s of them many still in the wrapper.

I have read somewhere that the needlewomen did that because of the deadly boredom while sewing the rates.

Ummm... I've heard another explanation.

Often you will find the name of the seamstress on the back of the chevrons. Supposedly the women sewing them knew the sailors were off somewhere far from the friendly face of female companionship. This was their way of sending a greeting and a little piece of home. (Keep in mind it was a long war for many of these single women as well!)

And I remember reading that the sailors in the USN did take notice and would often remember the name of the woman that had sewn their rating!

As for the dates... probably sewn from knowing that they were in a unique and dangerous time in history.

The side benefit for collectors is that when you find one like this, you know it is from the wartime period and not one of the millions made after the war.

• 1 month later...
Ummm... I've heard another explanation.

Often you will find the name of the seamstress on the back of the chevrons. Supposedly the women sewing them knew the sailors were off somewhere far from the friendly face of female companionship. This was their way of sending a greeting and a little piece of home. (Keep in mind it was a long war for many of these single women as well!)

And I remember reading that the sailors in the USN did take notice and would often remember the name of the woman that had sewn their rating!

As for the dates... probably sewn from knowing that they were in a unique and dangerous time in history.

The side benefit for collectors is that when you find one like this, you know it is from the wartime period and not one of the millions made after the war.

I just got my first example with a name on the back. In this case the name is Liona. Neat stuff!

-Ski

post-3043-1223334331.jpg

The main lady you will find on these patches is a sweetie named Liona, who representes the Liona Naval Ratings = Lion bros Co Inc.Baltimore Md. This is the story behind the myth, I will post a company tag from a rating badge later.

Regrets V/R John

The main lady you will find on these patches is a sweetie named Liona, who representes the Liona Naval Ratings = Lion bros Co Inc.Baltimore Md. This is the story behind the myth, I will post a company tag from a rating badge later.

Regrets V/R John

LOL!!!! laughing1.gif I guess we all learn something new every day, hehehehe.... Thanks for the clarification.

-Ski

This story has been around awhile. Here is the tag. I think Dan has a 1920's tag swen into the back of a rate, Liona used the logos well before WW2.

T/y John

post-2723-1223338898.jpg

That is slick. I wonder how many other manufacturers there were that embroidered their name on the back. I know of Vanguard, of course as shown above. Does anybody have any personalized ones?

Thanks for the picture.

-Ski

I believe this subject of dated and named rating badges is well covered in the ranks & ratings section of this site. The dates are contract dates for the manufacturer of these rating badges. John Stacey's newest book on Naval rating badges explains all of this in great detail.