C-1 Vest at the Flea Mkt.

338thRCT

After another long dry spell, I was able to get down to the local flea market . Walked past this piece the first time around.Happend to notice it when coming back the opposite direction. It had been hidden by a civilian type raincoat.Not a bad one. A few snags and tears here and there, some soil, but retains nice color. Don't know how to date it though.

post-70300-0-18705500-1449953002.jpg

post-70300-0-39373400-1449953025.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
phantomfixer

nice vest...used, from what I have seen, mostly in the pacific theater, over water late in the war, and used in Korea ops....nice..

the early ones had slanted top pockets???

northcoastaero

I believe the C-1 vest was used into early Vietnam with the M-1911A1 holster removed and a hip holster or

shoulder holster used for the USAF Smith & Wesson Model 15-2 Combat Masterpiece revolver.

northcoastaero

There was a large under arm life preserver called a MA-1 or MA-2 that had pouches for survival gear underneath the life preserver

portion. Also, in country made duck hunter pattern survival vests. I believe the SRU-21/P was introduced in 1966. The SRU-20/P

survival vest for the F-4 aircraft and SRU-19/P survival chaps may have been earlier? Also, I have seen other in country made

survival vests and possibly modified E-1 radio vests.

• 7 months later...

I have a c-1 with about half of the ww2 items. Anybody out there have a photo of what the correct period sharpening stone look like? Also, what would I expect to pay for the 45 shot shells with nice carton and rounds still sealed in the wax wrapper? Lastly, would appreciate anybody sharing photos they have of pilots wearing the usaaf C-1 vest. Thank you.