US Army Camo shirt/jacket Airborne

mdk0911

Was lucky and saw this US army camo shirt/jacket today - got it for $5 - can't go wrong with that price.

the shirt did have a name but I removed it because I want to wear this shirt but don't want to disrespect

the person who wore this is in battle!!

post-80886-0-46008300-1449950339.jpg

First question- your REMOVED the nametag yourself?!?!? WOW!! I don't think that honors the soldier one bit. I would also say that based on the fact that you have a BDU jacket, it probably wasn't ever worn in combat- especially as crispy new it looks and with the wing and CIB in place.

It is your jacket and you can do with it what you want, but I think that what you have done to it isn't exactly honoring the soldier's service.

Allan

WOW - sorry I made this post - why can't I wear it - it's mine right - also if I kept the name on it - it's called Stolen Valor correct? I realized I said wore this in battle - that is incorrect - I meant to say he was in battle because of the CIB

You're probably opening a can of worms here. Lots of differing opinions but mine is that if you didn't earn jump wings and a CIB then don't wear it.

Others will disagree but that's my take.

I agree - I didn't earn it and don't want to open a can of worms - I will not wear outside just at home or take off the patches and save them. I have the deepest respect for our past and current military personal as my great grand father, both my grandfather's and my dad were veterans.

Why would you do this? It honestly makes no sense. You can buy a LIKE-NEW UNISSUED BDU jacket all day long for fairly cheap. Then you don't have to worry about "stealing any valor". I find it odd that you feel the name-tape would incur "stolen valor", yet you are OK with wearing the CIB? There are many collectors who would have jumped at the chance to add a combat-badged 82nd Airborne BDU jacket to their collection. Please stop doing this.

To be honest, the original post almost seems like bait for an argument. Why would you post this in "Latest Acquisitions", and then state you might just strip everything off of the jacket? Very weird.

You picked up a very nice top for a very good price. I understand your intent and what you are trying to do. As you know I'm sure, as a collecting piece the top has more collectibility if it is complete. There may be other tops that are less collectible that would be better to wear outdoors (working, hunting, hiking, etc.) In regards to desirability my opinion is that it all depends on location. When I was living in Fayetteville these tops turned up fairly regularly obviously. Posted a few for sale and really didn't have much interest.

As far as it being worn in combat? Who knows? Not everything worn in combat comes out shredded. Those are usually discarded. More than likely it wasn't since it is woodland and the 82d didn't wear this pattern in Afghanistan from what I know. If it was an SF top or modified it would be more likely.

Stolen Valor? I can think of things a lot worse than wearing a patched BDU top. Really depends on your intent. Not implying that you are a young person but when I was a kid we wore our older male relatives' fatigues, etc. all the time. It was cool.

If your intent was to post a recent acquisition and this thread went sideways on you I'm sorry to hear it. If I missed something than its on me.

Jeff you are correct as I just wanted to post a recent buy and also thought it was made very well that I could wear it. I will NOT strip the patches but only wear the BDU top around my house. I see there are varying opinions about wearing someone's else's uniform and If I made a error with my initial verbiage, I'm sorry to all that took offense.

mywifesays-ohno-morestuff

I'm wasn't sure if I wanted in on this or not but, here goes. From time to time {to my wifes eye rolling} I will wear a M-51 field jacket with 1st sgt. stripes, embroidered CIB etc, a HBT shirt with rank & SSI, or a repro tanker jacket. I'm NOT a hipster but, I just like this stuff. Never had a problem in public. Anytime anyone has asked, I point out FIRST that I am a collector of these type things and explain what it is etc. Kinda like subtle advertising if you will. Once or twice it has led me to purchases. Anyone who is in the know on this stuff can guess I am way younger than what I wearing. For me personally, I would not wear any modern era stuff as I could see a problem with showing jump wings, CIB, or SF markings. Some modern era guys who served just might take offense. As a note, a while back I was going to a static display dressed as a WW2 officer. I went into a store for coffee still wearing my garrison cap but, no jacket. A lady in line wanted to shake my hand and thank me. I was embarassed as hell explaining to her what I was dressed for and that I had not ever served in the military. She sounded appreciative that people did re-enacting/immpressions. Goes to show most people don't even take notice.

As a retired Army First Sergeant and combat veteran, I'll confess that seeing kids wearing uniform items isn't an issue with me, as I often wore my father's (and uncle's) military stuff when I played "war" with my buddies. Badges, pins, ribbons, etc were all 'cool' as a kid, and when I see kids with these on their uniforms I'm generally amused and nostalgic.

I'm also perfectly fine seeing people of all ages wear military clothing items - most often bearing name tapes, even with the service branch tapes ("U.S. Army" ... etc).

I do get my nose bent out of joint, however, when I see young adults wearing uniform items which seem obviously un-earned - such as the 16 year old kid with the Ranger tab and Master Parachutist badge, or the 20-something year old with the Sergeant Major rank on the sleeves.

I'll concede that in the vast majority of these cases it really isn't the intent of the wearer to offend Service Members. We're a society of free expression, and for the most part people wear military uniforms and/or insignia for the simple fact that they often look cool or interesting ... and sometimes to pay homage to a relative or friend.

On the other hand, those rump-clowns out there who wear these things with the intent of somehow benefitting - for free stuff, meals, discounts, etc - are the real problem with we Vets. It truly infuriates me to think of these bums even receiving accolades and gestures of appreciation from those among the public who genuinely wish to express gratitude to members of the Armed Forces.

These posers are the real parasites Vets despise.

That being said, I don't believe that it's OP's intent to wear this uniform out of disrespect nor malice. I'll caution you, though, that special skill badges - the Parachutist Wings as an example - are a coveted award which those in uniform sweat hard to earn. The Combat Infantryman's Badge on this uniform top is another such coveted award, for which U.S. Infantrymen earn the right to wear only through ground combat against an armed enemy.

I'd like to add that as a fellow collector I hate to see anything removed from a uniform - whether it was worn in a combat zone or not. I'd imagine that the future collector-value of this uniform would be enhanced by the fact that it's complete just as it was worn by the young Soldier who's this top once was.

Best regards, and continued good militaria hunting!

Bryan