1951 USAF Blood Chit

316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG

This was given to me about 20 years ago. I had forgotten I even had it until I found it tucked in a box a couple of weeks ago.

It is an XM-51-3 Blood Chit, for use in the USSR and Satellites.

Not super rare, but I like it, and it has a relatively low number compared to others I have seen.

post-2463-1219326172.jpg

I've got a handful of those. They are pretty cool. Mine are all sequential serial numbers though. Perhaps when I finally get enough posts I will sell them. I have thought about collecting blood chits since I have a few WWII CBI ones as well, but I don't need to start a "new" collection.

Very nice,

Mike

Mike

What series are those?

D

I guess it is a XM-51-1 European. Atleast that's the only identifier I can find. They are dated Feb 1951.

post-3373-1219402302.jpg

There were at least three variations of the 51 chits available in the Pentagon around Christmas 1988. The ones shown, one for "Europe" and one for "USSR and satellites". Both the Europe and USSR versions included languages for the Middle East. 60 & 62 dated Latin American and 61, 63, 65, & 68 dated Southeast Asia chits were also available. Apparently warehouse space was needed and the chits were made available to those in the Pentagon rather than just trashing them. Have a few of each myself.

• 1 year later...

I'm digging up this old post because it's close to the era of the photo I'm posting. It's set in Korea, in 1950. Notice the blood chit attached to the back of the pilot's shirt. Never seen one like that.

post-70-1278385455.jpg