Vietnam Helmet set of PFC Sherman L. Herring, 101st AB 2/327th

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

Haven't post anything in a while, so I thought I would share this one I just made a trade for.

This helmet is named and ID'd to Sherman L. (Lewis) Herring, Service number RA12729957.

He enlisted in March 1965 and was assigned to the 101st AB, Co B, 2nd Battalion, December of 1965 as a rifleman. He continued to serve in the Army until September of 1972. From what I can read on his file, he was also assigned to the following units;

HHC 2nd BN (ABN), 101st 327th INF

HHC 1st BN (ABN) 101st 506th

Co C 1st BN (ABN) 325th INF

HHC 4th BN 10th Inf

Co A 4th Bn 10th Inf

Co. C 1st Bn 28th Inf

MOS held:

11B10 Basic Infantry Airborne

11B1P Rifleman

94B1P Cook

36K20

Primary duties listed with the above MOS's

Basic Infantry Airborne,

Rifleman,

Scout Observer

Cook

Sr Field Wireman

Msg Clerk

Awards;

Parachutist Badge

National Defense Medal

CIB

Vietnam Service Medal w/ 3 bronze stars

Vietnam Campaign medal

Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross w/ Palm Unit Citation

Expert Badge w/ Auto Rifle, Marksmanship badge w/ Rifle Bar,

2 Overseas Bars.

So I'm not exactly sure what unit would've used the tactical marking ink stamped on each side of the helmet, but my guess would be with the 327th. The helmet cover is dated 1964 and as you can see is an AB Liner, but no AB snaps on the shell chinstraps? Looking close at those it actually appears they were cut off for some reason. You can see how he has the shell straps weaved through the A-yoke straps of the liner.

If anyone can help with the markings I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Troy

post-33000-0-91298800-1449873154.jpg post-33000-0-66089100-1449873175.jpg post-33000-0-41476200-1449873188.jpg

Troy, Thats a 101st Engineers marking with the E / Castle upsidedown from what I've been told / was given. I have a write up somewhere I might be able to PDF For you that explains the transformation of the AB tac markings from WWII to Nam. With his service not sure why he would have the marking though.

-j

USMC-RECON0321

Troy, Thats a 101st Engineers marking with the E / Castle upsidedown. I have a write up somewhere I might be able to PDF For you that explains the transformation of the AB tac markings from WWII to Nam. With his service not sure why he would have the marking though.

-j

That would be great if you can find it. That was my first thoughts also, but he was infantry until later on in his career where I believe he was part of commo.

weird that the hook for the chinstrap is there instead of on the small loop not uncommon for ww2 helmets with original straps to have the t1 hook there

USMC-RECON0321

Jake, no idea they were pretty easy to take on and off and I've actually seen some helmets that had two of them, one on each loop.

USMC-RECON0321

Great ID'd helmet with a variety of interesting angles.

Thanks. I don't think we should peg hole this one to an engineer helmet and admit we never know all uses of a tac-mark or who all used them. This set appears to be un-messed with and we have his complete record showing no connection to an engineer unit. Not as a primary MOS or duty anyway, but I guess he could've been an attachment, or it could've been used as a small unit tac-mark in one of his other units / assignments.

He may still be living and it would be nice to track him down and ask him about this helmet. But as we all know that can be a gamble on what the reaction will be.

Troy

• 2 months later...
USMC-RECON0321

Looking through an Airborne association book I came across this picture showing a soldier entering an NVA tunnel and you can see the same style "E" marking stamped on the side of his helmet cover but facing upright? This is the first picture I've been able to find with anything close to the same marking.

Just thought I would update this thread as the research continues.

Thanks

Troy

post-33000-0-67592600-1456199638.jpg

• 2 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Nice video screen shot. Can you post the link to the video?

Thanks

Troy

sure thing, here it is:

unfortunately no more "E" marked helmets can be seen, but a really nice view of he inside of a PLAF handmade sun helmet and an ERDL 4 Color hot weather cap can be seen.