Fatigue Uniforms, Part 1, US Army Color Insignia

gwb123

Rakkasan187

Here is one I have had in my collection for many years..

On temporary loan to a museum..

Leigh

post-5554-0-60243000-1554226365_thumb.jpg

CNY Militaria

General Dwight Beach, Commander US Army Pacific, 1966-1968. The stars and jump wings are directly embroidered to the shirt, probably done in Japan.

1EE6CC1D-9926-476F-BFC1-BF6A25958214.jpeg

• 2 years later...

I don't have this shirt, but I thought I would post it because of the interesting combination of insignia that defines the transitional period between full color and subdued insignia in the late 1960's. He is wearing a U.S. made merrowed edge 1st Cavalry Division SSI, gold on black U.S. ARMY tape and subdued pin on staff sergeant rank insignia. But the rest of his insignia appears to be Vietnamese theater made - subdued name tape, full color Combat Infantryman and Parachutist Badges and AIRBORNE tab with yellow boder over his 1st Cav combat patch. Also note the shadow where he once had sew on rank chevrons. I can't tell if he is wearing an SSI for his current assignment, but at the time of the photo, he was assigned to the Berlin Brigade.

The wearing of subdued pin on rank insignia along with the gold on black Army tape was extremely rare. On the other hand, it was fairly common to see Vietnam veterans wearing theater made insignia - probably brought back with them from Vietnam - on their stateside fatigues.

Combat Patch.1st Cavalry Division.Airborne.Berlin Brigade.1.jpg

Combat Patch.1st Cavalry Division.Airborne.Berlin Brigade.2.jpg

17 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

I don't have this shirt, but I thought I would post it because of the interesting combination of insignia that defines the transitional period between full color and subdued insignia in the late 1960's. He is wearing a U.S. made merrowed edge 1st Cavalry Division SSI, gold on black U.S. ARMY tape and subdued pin on staff sergeant rank insignia. But the rest of his insignia appears to be Vietnamese theater made - subdued name tape, full color Combat Infantryman and Parachutist Badges and AIRBORNE tab with yellow boder over his 1st Cav combat patch. Also note the shadow where he once had sew on rank chevrons. I can't tell if he is wearing an SSI for his current assignment, but at the time of the photo, he was assigned to the Berlin Brigade.

The wearing of subdued pin on rank insignia along with the gold on black Army tape was extremely rare. On the other hand, it was fairly common to see Vietnam veterans wearing theater made insignia - probably brought back with them from Vietnam - on their stateside fatigues.

Combat Patch.1st Cavalry Division.Airborne.Berlin Brigade.1.jpg

Combat Patch.1st Cavalry Division.Airborne.Berlin Brigade.2.jpg

I believe this is the style of the AIRBORNE tab he is wearing.

Tab.Airborne.Gold On Black.THeater Made.jpg