Rate: O03

MOS: 4820

MOS Title: Parachute Maintenance & Aerial Supply Officer

Entered: 6503

Discharged: 791004

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

And he died in Service, that 1979 discharge date was when he died.

http://www.armycasualties.info/index.php?page=directory&rec=11225

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

post-1506-0-85287900-1450570268.jpg

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: TOOP HAROLD V

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O02

MOS: 1542

MOS Title: Infantry Unit Commander

Entered: 6607

Discharged:

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

Found more info on Toop. He was a PLT LDR in Co A 2/502nd and was awarded a SS.

1LT Harold V. Toop Jr. (A/2/502 IN) was awarded the Silver Star Medal for
gallantry in action against a hostile force on 21 July 1967 near Duc Pho, Republic
of Vietnam.
While on a search and destroy mission, First Lieutenant Toop’s
platoon suddenly detected enemy
activity to their front. Having been previously alerted of a possible enemy battalion command post in the area, Lieutenant Toop decided to lead a small reconnaissance element forward to investigate.
Lieutenant Toop led a seven man reconnaissance element through enemy
outposts and several times passed within several meters of enemy positions.
When Lieutenant Toop and his small element were within thirty meters of a
suspected enemy command post they were detected by enemy guards and
immediately brought under a heavy volume of enemy fire.
Lieutenant Toop immediately directed his reconnaissance element to return fire and secure a route of withdrawal.
With complete disregard for his own personal safety, Lieutenant Toop and his machine gunner assaulted the suspected enemy command post. Although twice knocked to the ground by enemy grenades, Lieutenant Toop continued forward and succeeded in personally killing two enemy officers inside the command post.
Still under hostile fire, Lieutenant Toop stripped the dead enemy officers of credentials and documents and then led his
men back to the main body of his platoon.
Lieutenant Toop then called for artillery and gunship strikes on the enemy positions. It was later determined after a sweep of the area that one of the enemy officers Lieutenant Toop had killed had been a battalion commander.

First Lieutenant Toop’s outstanding display of gallantry in action and his devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself the Americal Division, and the United States Army.

This ending with the Americal Division is interesting, AMERICAL wasn't reactivated in July 1967, so as the 2nd Battalion 502nd Infantry was in the 1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division, and the 1st Bde 101st Abn Div was assigned to the Ad Hoc Task Force Oregon in April 1967, then Toop had this GO for his SS cut after September 1967, Task Force Oregon became the Americal, with new units being assigned late 67, (the 1st Bde 101st Abn Div rejoined it's parent with the rest of the Division showed up in late 67) and probaly had the higher auturoity to cut awards from the recently disbaned TF Oregon.

• 1 month later...

I started collecting shirts a year or so ago. I haven't bought any online or at shows but I'm happy with what I found so far.

Here are a few of them.

post-108826-0-39607000-1466290930.jpg

post-108826-0-17256500-1466290939.jpg

post-108826-0-04718700-1466290948.jpg

post-108826-0-85384400-1466290955.jpg

firefighter

Armored divisions.

The collar insignia for the Captain is Medical Service Corps, and may have been foreign made.

Very cool. My father was with the 27th Armored Div / 27th Armored Sig

• 1 year later...

Based on the subdued tapes, I'm guessing this one belonged to a member of the 33rd Infantry Brigade of the Illinois National Guard which was organized when the 33rd Infantry Division was deactivated on February 1, 1968. The pocket patch is the DUI of the 122nd Artillery and the 2nd Battalion 122nd Artillery was assigned to the 33rd.

post-1761-0-17355800-1511877205.jpg

post-1761-0-13700300-1511877216.jpg

Based on the subdued tapes, I'm guessing this one belonged to a member of the 33rd Infantry Brigade of the Illinois National Guard which was organized when the 33rd Infantry Division was deactivated on February 1, 1968. The pocket patch is the DUI of the 122nd Artillery and the 2nd Battalion 122nd Artillery was assigned to the 33rd.

Nice one, was their rank on it?

The shirt for CW2 Bowen is interesting. An aviator with 2 awards of the CIB. Also has the old-style Warrant Officer insignia.

I have heard (anecdotally) of some aviators being awarded the CIB based on their actions in combat, I wonder if CW2 Bowen was one of those? Another possibility is that he served in WWII and Korea, or Korea and Vietnam as an enlisted Infantryman and then became an aviation warrant officer afterwards. I think the subdued nametapes and old style CW2 insignia mark that as a pre-1970 uniform, right?

Nice shirt. There is only one Robinson listed, list not complete.

ROBINSON, Robert M.

Looked into him already FF, nothing so far, when I get to him (Haven't reached the Rs yet) maybe they'll be more on him.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/268875-the-wwii-korea-vietnam-3rd-award-combat-infantryman-badge-holders-photos-and-biographies/

• 1 year later...

Found this 1967 dated 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment shirt at the flea market last Sunday.

post-1389-0-54853700-1554225672_thumb.jpg