Fatigue Uniforms, Part 1, US Army Color Insignia

gwb123

Once upon a time I collected fatigue uniforms. It used to be you could easily find these on the racks of vintage clothing shops and thrift stores. But as time has gone on, the better, more colorful examples are harder to find.

From the early 1950's to the late 1960's these uniforms were an odd combination of OG green and patches of every color in the rainbow. They were often derisively known as "Christmas Tree" uniforms.

Although designed for comfort and utility, they were often starched and ironed as flat and stiff a board. In fact when one selected one for wear, the owner had to pull the front and back apart and separate the sleeves in order to put them on. Putting on a fresh uniform was often referred to as "breaking starch".

This collection is gone, but the photos remain and our presented for our member's references.

If anyone has any favorites they would like to add, please feel free to do so.

Fat AA.jpg

These are in no particular order:

A couple of oddballs. Note the custom nametape and small SP/4 rank on the first one..

The colonel's shirt from the 8th Corps may have been Korean made based on the color of the fabric and thread used for stitching. The sharp crease from starching still shows on this one.

Fat 58.jpg

Fat 52.jpg

A couple from the 101st. Note the subdued nametape from a later transition period, as well as the nonmatching jump wings.

Fat 50.jpg

Fat 51.jpg

Post war 442nd uniform. Many people do not realize that unit continued to serve as an Army Reserve unit based in Hawaii.

Fat 59.jpg

Infantry School assignees.

One thing I notice over time is a lot of fatigues for experienced soldiers show up with Infantry School insignia on them. One might guess that this may have been a terminal assignment for many of them.

Note the Airborne tab added to the sergeant's uniform above the Infantry School patch. Oddly, there is no Airborne tab over the SF patch on the Captain's uniform.

Fat 55.jpg

Fat 64.jpg

Armored divisions.

The collar insignia for the Captain is Medical Service Corps, and may have been foreign made.

Fat 60.jpg

Fat 67.jpg

Fat 68.jpg

Cold weather shirt. In ten years of collecting, this is the only badged example I could find with color insignia. When I was in during the 1980's, these were typically worn with just the US Army insignia, and sometimes a name tape.

Fat 57.jpg

Moving into the Vietnam period, here are two uniforms from the same individual that show how insignia changed.

The first uniform features a locally made white nametape and US Army tape.

The second one shows these tapes subdued, and the rank missing as it would have been switched over to less conspicuous collar rank.

Fat 72.jpg

Fat 62.jpg

MAAG (Military Assistance and Advisory Group) shirt, with a locally made name tape. This one shows that the tab for the assigned country was not always worn over the shoulder patch.

FAT 76.jpg

US Army advisor the ARVN 8th Armored.

One of the most heavily badged uniforms I ever encountered.

I went over this one several times and as far as I could tell it was all original.

Fat 75.jpg

Uniform of Major General Shelton E. Lollis, one time commander of the 1st Logistics Command.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/selollis.htm

This one is noteworthy for the direct embroidered name in subdued thread, while his general's rank was embroidered in white.

Note the heavy level of starch.

This shirt matches ones seen in photos of the general during his time in Vietnam.

Fat 77.jpg

CNY Militaria

Gil, Great uniforms! I very much enjoyed this and the other post containing these shirts. I like the variations as you have mentioned. Since you showed MG Lollis' shirt, I'll add my own, along with a photo of him wearing a similar one (note the starchiness of the shirt!). Both the one I have and another that I sold last year were heavily starched like the one you have shown. The one I am picturing still has the sleeves rolled up.

Justin

DSCN3425.JPG

DSCN3424.JPG

Cold weather shirt. In ten years of collecting, this is the only badged example I could find with color insignia. When I was in during the 1980's, these were typically worn with just the US Army insignia, and sometimes a name tape.

We wore them with subdued patches during my time in Alaska 172 LIB and 6th ID (L). along with field pants . The parka never did have a patch

The practice of "breaking starch" every morning was unpleasant to the point of being disgusting.

It might have looked cool, but it was gone after a few hours and uncomfortable as could be.

The white name tags disappeared in 1966. The day my basic training company got uniforms, the guys in front of us got white tags and we got green ones.

There was a wear out period for existing tags.

Same-same colored insignia. A warning order was issued in 1968 giving guys about a year to change over to subdued stuff.

You saw a lot of combinations for a while, but by late 69, colored stuff was unauthorised on fatigues or field jackets.

Infantry School assignees.

One thing I notice over time is a lot of fatigues for experienced soldiers show up with Infantry School insignia on them. One might guess that this may have been a terminal assignment for many of them.

Note the Airborne tab added to the sergeant's uniform above the Infantry School patch. Oddly, there is no Airborne tab over the SF patch on the Captain's uniform.

The Airborne tab above the Infantry School SSI indicates that he was assigned to the Airborne Department.

Hard to imagine a Captain wearing an SF SSI without the tab....perhaps it was added by someone else.

I love these old uniforms. Following are a few of mine I have owned at one time but no longer have.

First up is from the 191st Infantry Brigade, an Army Reserve unit active in Montanan between 1963 and 1968.

post-1761-0-77821100-1450294391.jpg