WW2 lensatic compass and case

Sabrejet

The Lensatic Compass (sometimes called a marching compass) was a Corps of Engineers item which was generally issued to Army officers and senior NCOs. It was carried in a small, snap-closed webbing pouch which was suspended from the belt. The pouch was treated with a waterproofing agent which gave it a slightly greasy feel.

Thanks are due to fellow forum-er Ronnie67 who kindly supplied me with the case after having seen my compass in another thread. It's a small but important item and one which is not easy to source in the UK!

(Thanks Andy!) ;)

post-8022-0-23798700-1449860041.jpg

post-8022-0-23292000-1449860053.jpg

post-8022-0-50202200-1449860069.jpg

Nice looking compass, appears to be in great condition. I always did enjoy these, not sure why, just think they are cool. That is a great looking case you got to go with it too! Thanks for sharing!

Nice looking compass, appears to be in great condition. I always did enjoy these, not sure why, just think they are cool. That is a great looking case you got to go with it too! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind comments GG! :)

I'll echo: very nice setup. The pouches are surprisingly hard to find on the loose on this side of the Atlantic as well. I spent years looking for a pouch at a reasonable price.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like a perfect match to go along with your WWII compass

here's one of mine, it's an early WW2 model

This compass is one of the first models without any markings on the case made in the early years prior to WWII probably around 1939 - 1940 era.

The web carry pouch is also an early WWII pouch with "Dura Snaps" often seen with the unmarked Lensatic compass like mine, and are considered rare and not as common as the later lift the dot type pouches mfg later.

the dial shows a maker mark:

W. & L. E. GURLEY - TROY, N.Y. , U.S.A.

post-1885-0-43208800-1451607890.jpg

post-1885-0-87698600-1451607904.jpg

Bolo,

Interesting, I was under the impression that the early pouch had zippers and was first used in very late 40 and most likely in 41. At one time I had a pretty significant collection of compasses and pouches and my research and observations led me to believe that the dura snap pouches started being used in limited numbers in the august/Sep 44 time frame. Just my opinion, but I think they were a rush order to fulfill shortages lost during june/Jul operations. Do you have any pictures or reference material that would substantiate your observations? While I really don't actively collect compasses anymore I still like to update my references.

Regards,

CC

I agree with you CC the Army zipper compass pouch is the first type used.

The early version Army zipper type compass pouch was used more by the AAF and was barrow by the paratroopers in D-Day and that's why they bring rear good money.

This dome snap buttons compass pouch is a later rarer version pouch on the same platform as the first aid jungle pouch types observed with dome snaps or the LTD as found on the AAF survival pouch in the same configuration.

Bolo,

Interesting, I was under the impression that the early pouch had zippers and was first used in very late 40 and most likely in 41. At one time I had a pretty significant collection of compasses and pouches and my research and observations led me to believe that the dura snap pouches started being used in limited numbers in the august/Sep 44 time frame. Just my opinion, but I think they were a rush order to fulfill shortages lost during june/Jul operations. Do you have any pictures or reference material that would substantiate your observations? While I really don't actively collect compasses anymore I still like to update my references.

Regards,

CC