WWII Posthumous POW grouping 19th Bomb Group BATAAN

KASTAUFFER

• 4 months later...

Another stunner! - These types of groups are hard to comment on. You, Bob and others have presented a snapshot of an incredible circumstance that was / is seldom discussed and a tragic consequence of war. Many Thanks

DJ

Post Script: The members who have these medals / documents, might consider publishing a book in memorial, with these groups being photographed with recipients as the "chapters". It would be a riveting read. Tall order, but a great tribute.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

A great and tragic grouping! Cpl George Schroedl was one thousands who survived the hellish POW camps to tragicaly die in a POW ship! The hell this poor soul and thousands like him endured is unimaginable! God bless his soul and all the others and keep them in a Special place in Heaven!

• 6 months later...

"A great and tragic grouping! Cpl George Schroedl was one thousands who survived the hellish POW camps to tragicaly die in a POW ship! The hell this poor soul and thousands like him endured is unimaginable! God bless his soul and all the others and keep them in a Special place in Heaven!"

I would like to add to your statements...there are thousands of combatants, many who survived combat only to perish in hellships sunk by mistake by our own aircraft and/or submarines.

An unknown number returned home and were properly processed receiving full recognition towards combat service.

1. The 19th BG earned four Distinguished Unit Citations aka Presidential Unit Citation w/3 OLC's.

2. All recipeints of the PUC during the period of 7 December 1941 to 10 May 1942 are entitled the Bronze Star Medal.

3. During the period, all Army combatants who fought the enemy qualified for the Combat Infantryman badge (CIB).

4. All WWII recipeints of the CIB are entitled the BSM. In this case, the BSM (First OLC).

5. The POW medal, among other theater, and campaign medals.

For the past number of years, I have been contacted to assist with numerous veterans of Bataan and Corregidor and/ or next of kin of WWII veterans.

Frankly, I am a failure to my fellow veterans due to the lack of support, and enforcement of applicable guidelines. Veterans are going to their graves being denied the Bronze Star Medal [with] the CIB, and others who served in the ETO being denied the Purple Heart for incurring wounds while in captivity.

I am asking for help by anyone who is a member of a veterans' organization. My purpose is to have a Resolution introduced through chain of command for adoption by the VFW or American Legion. It requests the Missing Medals Act to be introduced by a member of the Armed Service Committee to request passage into law.

What is the Missing Medals Act? It identifies current guidelines which entitle veterans of WWI, WWII, and Korean War the recognition identified in accordance with current guidelines. I will provide all material to anyone interested.

Contact me at [email protected].

• 3 weeks later...

Great group Kurt. Thanks for sharing. I looked around in my POW diary to see if there is any mention of Schroedl but have had no luck so far. Below is Hinkle's entry when this draft was heading out. They all new that the odds were against them making it. Every draft of men that got sent out was a very somber moment.

Rob M.

post-109483-0-56502100-1372363749.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks for bring that back to the top. A very great grouping to a tragic ending. It's wonderful you were able to rescue this and be the keeper of the memory of this man alive.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 3 months later...
Garandomatic

Hear! Hear! I have a "Remember Bataan" section on my chalkboard as we speak. My 9th graders started WWII a week or so ago, and I brought in my Filipino survivor's Korean War uniform to start class with and left the pictures up when I took it home.

• 1 year later...

Back to the top in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Fall of Bataan.

Kurt

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...