WWII Posthumous POW grouping 19th Bomb Group BATAAN

KASTAUFFER

I just picked up this group on Ebay ( Yes you can still find the occasional Purple Heart if you are quick enough ). I was able to PM the seller before Ebay pulled the auction and made a deal for it.

Cpl George Schroedl was serving with the 19th Bomb Group in the Philippines when the war started and was captured on Bataan. Some members of his unit were able to evacuate to Java and Australia in the remaining B-17's they had, but he was not one of them.

He was one of the unortunate POW's to die on the Japanese hellship " Arisan Maru" on October 24, 1944 . She was an unmarked ship the Japanese were using to transport POW's from the PI to Japan and a US submarine sunk her , not knowing her precious cargo. @ 1800 US servicemen and civilians died . Even the SS Titanic doesnt come close to the number of lives lost, but you never hear about this disaster.

The pictures speak for themselves.

Kurt

162641515_o.jpg

Thanks Guys, I just picked the lot up at the Post Office yesterday. Its better than the pics show. I may add some more to the thread.

Kurt

Thanks Guys, I just picked the lot up at the Post Office yesterday. Its better than the pics show. I may add some more to the thread.

Kurt

Simply Amazing!