Dreaded Telegram & What Happens Next Schweinfurt 8/17/43

manayunkman

I have been watching this since you first started it and i must say it a truly sad story that too many american families had to face. The sacrifice given by our boys over see's is generally what us collectors focus on but it really is truly important to show the sacrifice the families make at home. The imagine of Homers father is a just a reminder of big a blow this lose was to his father !

Mariner thank you for bringing up the family.

Your comment is appreciated.

Very somber but incredibly complete and detailed... a very unique look inside.

Thank you.

Speaking of complete there is one aspect of this story that is incomplete.

What happened August 17, 1943 ?

There were 2 men who survived from this crew that day.

According to accounts I've read they were both POW's or one was a POW and the other returned to base.

That's all I can find out about them.

Perhaps I haven't looked in the right place yet but I've tried to find out what happened when they were attacked.

I do know they were attacked by Lt Arthur Beese FW190 pilot who claims the downing (info was on Fields of Honor web site).

The only other account I can find from the 91st BG is of "Dame Satan" part of the 322nd BS.

They were attacked by by ME-109's and FW-190's in head on frontal attacks that would peel off belly up bellow the 17's.

They made repeated wing tip to wing tip frontal attacks until a 109 connected with a fatal blow.

I had an A-2 grouping several years ago and was able to record the vet's recollections.

In 1943 he was a B-17 top turret gunner in the 92nd BG and flew in "Satans Lady".

On one of his missions during a wing to wing frontal attack a German 20mm cannon shell burst in the cockpit and decapitated the Co-pilot.

It's probable that a similar attack was made on "V-Paquette".

The 2 survivors are Navigator 2nd Lt. Edgar J. Yelle and Bombardier 2nd Lt. Walter S. Brown Jr.

There is very little information that I could find about them but if any of the more savvy among us know where to look please let me know.

This is why I like groups with paper. You did a great job of laying it out in sequence.

Kurt

Thank you Kurt.

To hear from you means a lot to me.

And for you to say that I did "a great job" makes my heart soar like a hawk.

Peter

Patchcollector

Great group and a sad,but well told story.Groups like these are great in the sense that they show the person(s) behind the items.Every piece of Militaria has a story,some more important than others,and to find a grouping such as this one with all the correspondence intact is rare indeed.
This is just one out of the thousands upon thousands of "dreaded" Telegrams that were received by families during the War.The Homefront atmosphere must have been a mixture of sadness for the lost,joy for those that came back,and tense moments awaiting the hopeful return of those still in battle.The look in Homers' Fathers' eyes in post # 82 speaks untold volumes of a Father's sorrow at his Sons' untimely passing.RIP Hero.

Nice grouping. It is obvious that you appreciate the significance, and It is nice to see that it ended up in your hands.

I wondered if it would ever make an appearance here on the forum.

I had a chance to handle this grouping prior to it being sold, and I would have loved to have purchased it. But, I just didn't have enough cash with Christmas and car repairs on the horizon.

Great stuff, and congratulations on the acquisition.

Great group and a sad,but well told story.Groups like these are great in the sense that they show the person(s) behind the items.Every piece of Militaria has a story,some more important than others,and to find a grouping such as this one with all the correspondence intact is rare indeed.

This is just one out of the thousands upon thousands of "dreaded" Telegrams that were received by families during the War.The Homefront atmosphere must have been a mixture of sadness for the lost,joy for those that came back,and tense moments awaiting the hopeful return of those still in battle.The look in Homers' Fathers' eyes in post # 82 speaks untold volumes of a Father's sorrow at his Sons' untimely passing.RIP Hero.

Thank you Patch.

After I got the group and went through it I started making connections and realized that there was more here than meets the eye.

There was enough material here to show the human side and enough to show the paperwork time line.

I also thought, from an intellectual point of view, that there was some interesting information here.

That photo, when I saw it, I realized is very important.

When it comes to the sadness of the war there are very few pictures out there that have an impact like this one.

They say "a picture is worth a thousand words", well this one is worth a thousand tears.

Very nicely told, thank you for sharing it! Fold3 has a copy of their crew photo and their missing crew report.If you would like a copy, please pm me.

attachicon.gifFold3_Page_1_Black_and_White_and_Color_Photographs_of_US_Air_Force_and_Predecessor_Agencies_Activities_Facilities_and_Personnel_World_War_II (1).jpg

Beast PM sent and thanks so much for posting the picture.

Thank you Calvin Hall.

I assure you that there those more worthy than I to have this group but I appreciate your kind words.

The half hour plus I spent reading this thread is one of the best and most interesting use of time I have ever had on this forum. Great job Peter, what a story and what a service you did to keep this man's story alive and remembered. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Patch 323rd Bomb Squadron

post-157-0-32635100-1450336103.jpg

Commanding Officer: Captain Russ "Packrat"

Executive Officer: 2nd Lt. Karlsim

Callsign: Oboe

Call Letters: OR

Erwin

thank you so much for sharing. Very sombering grouping.

Groupings like this really show the side of war that we often forget.

Very true and to take it further many want to forget.

Thank you for your comment.

mywifesays-ohno-morestuff

WOW, The way this was presented was excellent. Congratulations. It had my anxiety level up as I went along! The most haunting part for me are the photos of his father. Enough to bring a tear to my eye. I don't think most folks can even fathom what our nation endured during WW2. Something like this would be extremely educational to school children today. Really to any group of Americans who are interested in our history. Thank You for sharing this in the way you have.

The half hour plus I spent reading this thread is one of the best and most interesting use of time I have ever had on this forum. Great job Peter, what a story and what a service you did to keep this man's story alive and remembered. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

WOW! Didn't expect to hear that.

When I realized what I had in this group I felt compelled to tell this story.

Thank you so much for letting me know it's effect on you.

Merry Christmas.

Jeeper thank you for your addition to bringing this story full circle.

It would be interesting to know if anyone is assigned to Mitts' grave.

WOW, The way this was presented was excellent. Congratulations. It had my anxiety level up as I went along! The most haunting part for me are the photos of his father. Enough to bring a tear to my eye. I don't think most folks can even fathom what our nation endured during WW2. Something like this would be extremely educational to school children today. Really to any group of Americans who are interested in our history. Thank You for sharing this in the way you have.

I am glad that this had such a profound meaning to you.

In 1994 I started using my groupings to tell the stories of many Central Pennsylvania veterans that I had acquired items from.

When a story becomes more personal people tend to listen more closely especially children.

Names, dates and places tend to loose them.

Thanks again.

Wow wow and WOW ! just fantastic Peter !! from beginning to the end , and what a great way you told the story !!

Fantastic , you knew id like it !!

LB

• 5 months later...