Photo of Only B-29 Flying Over ETO 1944

WWIIDADS

This photo from my late mother-in-laws estate was taken in early 1944 from the family home on Rue le Abbatoir, Brussels, Belgium. I thought it showed a solo B-17, but recently blowing it up, it is so far the only known in flight photo of YB-29 41-36963, "Hobo Queen", based at RAF Horsham-St Faith in England, March 6-April 1, 1944, while flying over Europe to test hi altitude radar. It is only 2 1/4" x 2 3/8", but is a prime example of right place at the right time, a flick which records a rare point in history. It is a privilege to be it's caretaker.

post-143615-0-20534100-1449619008.jpg

Here is the best blowup of the bomber I can achieve, but wing outline, nose length and shape, and tail profile clearly identify it as the B-29.

post-143615-0-58805800-1449621745.jpg

There was a B-29 that did a promotion tour after V-J day. Could that be it?

I have a uniform of a crew member of it. Has the Eto ribbon on it.

I recall reading of the B29 in the ETO during the war, and well known pic of it on the ground, in OD paint...never seen the in flight pic well done....no doubt a B29, and I guess that is the radar pod under and aft of the nose...

Wow, what are the odds? Talk about right time and right place! Very cool to have captured such a moment in history AND have it as a part of family history. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Phantomfixer, the "pod" under the nose area is actually a black spot probably on the negative like other spots seen on the image. This B-29 had a radar bar under the wings from research I have done. I cannot explain the altitude earlymb, but I know my mother in law left Brussels with the photo album when she married my father in law shortly after VE Day when his unit was disbanded in Namur, Belgium. My wife knew the photo all her life in the album and wartime photo was how it was described to both of us by her mother. They once had a German bomb land in their living room in Brussels and ended up a dud in their kitchen stove. I have no reason to doubt her, and unfortunately cannot ask her to reconfirm this in writing as she passed in 1987.