flak vest - what do I have here?

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

I put in an absentee bid and wound up with this. What do I have here? It was described as an M1/M2...my gear book is packed up in the moving process so I am not completely familiar with the flight gear. It at least looked to be the part!

Thanks,

Daniel

doinworkinvans

Thanks Bob - appears to be an M1/M2 - the auction also listed the M5 groin. So I am going to assume that as well. I hate when only one picture is posted, but I took a gamble so if it doesn't payoff ....oh well!

doinworkinvans

Yes it says it comes with M5 groin protector

and Im assuming that's the other piece there.

Daniel,

It looks like you got a very nice set of WW2 vintage USAAF M1 flak armor. The M1 had an armor front and back. The M2 was designed for pilots who sat in front or armor plate, so the back was not armored. The M5 groin armor was typically used in the bombardiers position due to his kneeling stance during the bomb run. Great find!

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-06332300-1449611445.jpg

You did well. Should be a nice set, M1 vest and M5 apron. The M5 is a nice and semi-rare apron for the flak suit (least produced apron of the war). Be cautious with it and check to see the plates are not rusting inside of the suit. I have seen sets that shed rust dust from the inside. That being said you can usually spot it from a discoloration to the exterior and your set looks quite clean. Enjoy it and display it with an M3 helmet.

doinworkinvans

Thanks Lits....you guys sure know your gear!

It will only be enjoyed for a short time.

It was an absentee bid and would love to keep it but were moving and everything is boxed up so no where to put this now.

Thanks again everyone!

Daniel