Pearl Harbor Survivor Groups

pathfinder505

pathfinder505

Since it is December 7th, I thought I would post some of my groups from survivors.

1. Navy Grouping from the USS Maryland. Includes uniforms, helmets, yard long and burial flag. I also have more documentation.

post-197-0-30018800-1449547948.jpg

post-197-0-70178100-1449547981.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

4. A Marine Grouping with his handwritten description of the attack

That's a beauty there! What unit of the 2nd did he end up in? Did he hit any campaigns with them?

VFG

pathfinder505

That's a beauty there! What unit of the 2nd did he end up in? Did he hit any campaigns with them?

VFG

Thanks, i will have to look and will post later. I wanted to get the post in on December 7th and didnt have time to take a lot of pictures.

pathfinder505

VFG

I found him on the roster at San Diego, then Pearl Harbor and Back to San Diego. In April 1941 he was with the 2nd Eng Bn, Division Spl Troops, 2nd Marine Division as a Bn Runner. Then with the 18th Marine (Engineers) in the field.

I found the history below and it matches his locations on the rosters. His son confirmed he was in Saipan in 1944.

The 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion was activated on 1 November 1940 in order to support the 2nd Marine Brigade. With existing Company A and the activation of the Headquarters and Service Company, Companies B and C were organized 6 December 1940 in San Diego, California. On 1 April 1941, the battalion was assigned to Division Special Troops of the 2nd Marine Division. On 4 November 1941, 2nd Engineer Battalion was relocated to Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Upon Arrival, Headquarters and Service Company and Company A were assigned to Construct Camp Caitlin, Oahu.

The 2nd Engineer Battalion was relocated on 13 May 1942 to Camp Elliot, San Diego. From here, engineers from Company A embarked for Guadalcanal, and participated in the landing on that island. On 8 September 1942 2nd Engineer Battalion was redesignated as "1st Battalion, 18th Marines". During World War II, the engineers of 18th Marines participated in Campaigns on Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa.

ViewfinderGyrene

I found him on the roster at San Diego, then Pearl Harbor and Back to San Diego. In April 1941 he was with the 2nd Eng Bn, Division Spl Troops, 2nd Marine Division as a Bn Runner. Then with the 18th Marine (Engineers) in the field.

I found the history below and it matches his locations on the rosters. His son confirmed he was in Saipan in 1944.

The 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion was activated on 1 November 1940 in order to support the 2nd Marine Brigade. With existing Company A and the activation of the Headquarters and Service Company, Companies B and C were organized 6 December 1940 in San Diego, California. On 1 April 1941, the battalion was assigned to Division Special Troops of the 2nd Marine Division. On 4 November 1941, 2nd Engineer Battalion was relocated to Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Upon Arrival, Headquarters and Service Company and Company A were assigned to Construct Camp Caitlin, Oahu.

The 2nd Engineer Battalion was relocated on 13 May 1942 to Camp Elliot, San Diego. From here, engineers from Company A embarked for Guadalcanal, and participated in the landing on that island. On 8 September 1942 2nd Engineer Battalion was redesignated as "1st Battalion, 18th Marines". During World War II, the engineers of 18th Marines participated in Campaigns on Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa.

Very nice indeed, have to wonder if he was at Tarawa. I've never read anything from a vet who was a runner on Tarawa.

Fantastic group!

• 11 months later...
pathfinder505

I thought I would bring back up today. I recently aquired a Remember Pearl Harbor Poster and will add tonight.

Kurt Barickman

Nice thread, I personally acquired your PH Coast Guard grouping from the family and great thread.

Kurt

pathfinder505

Nice thread, I personally acquired your PH Coast Guard grouping from the family and great thread.

Kurt

Thanks, Nice to know!

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
pathfinder505

Back to the top - In Memory of the day that will live in infamy.

Also added this poster since getting the groupings.

post-197-0-95807900-1575820683.jpg

post-197-0-96571800-1575820699.jpg

pathfinder505

Picked up this USS Tennessee Group from a Tennessean back in 2018. He was on the USS Tennessee on December 7th.. Sorry for the poor pictures.

post-197-0-76963400-1575823494_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-17881500-1575823511.jpg

post-197-0-40595500-1575823526.jpg