Abomb

A Marine's personal memoir

Hello,

I went to an estate sale of a Marine vet last weekend. There were quite a few reunion items and one collar EGA that I picked up.

However, the best item I bought was a personal memoir written by a Marine officer of the 5th Amphibian Tractor Battalion. It apparently was copied for attendees at reunions . It is a typed manuscript with manual edits, 133 pages. It details one man's experience of the invasion of Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima as well as training and post-cambat times. Written in 1945 but inscribed to his fellow Marine in 2008. The writing style reminds me of God is My Copilot by Col. Robert Scott. The man was in charge of tractor maintenance while getting shelled, shot at, machine gunned and dealing with Navy personnel .

post-7656-0-41454800-1449541661.jpg

Very impressive to have something SO complete and vast!

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

Wow nice would love to read that!

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

Were there any photos of him or his Company in the field available?

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hello,

There were no photos , documents, or anything else directly related to this memoir or the Marine whose estate the sale was for except some history books . Those running the sale did say the vet was proud of his service and a lifelong patriot . He attended reunions for his battalion every year that he could.

Very interesting!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Abomb, have you scanned/digitized this memoir? I would love to get a copy. It should also be shared with the USMC Archive at Quantico if you haven't already. Fantastic find!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I am looking for: USMC officer education items pre-1945. Documents, memorabilia, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to know what today's Marines are seeing in the schoolhouse? Check out www.decisionforcingcase.com and see how the Case Method is being employed at Marine Corps University to enhance the adaptive learning and critical thinking skills of our students.