M1916 Holster Flap Clasp Repair

tom63

Got this M1916 Boyt 42 holster the other day. Sadly, the ball clasp that secures the flap has pulled out of the socket. Is there a way to repair this? I'm sure my nomenclature is wrong but the attached pictures should show the problem. Thanks

post-9295-0-39429700-1449514407.jpg post-9295-0-64341100-1449514420.jpg

Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the stud. It just pulled out of the washer. Not too hard to fix but you need the right tools. Go to Tandy Leather (or any good leather place) and get the appropriate set. Can't remember exactly what it's called but it's just a small cylinder with a hole in one end that will accept the ball end of the stud plus a long metal set designed to flatten the end of the stud. While you're there get some unwaxed white thread and a couple of needles. Take the inner cover off the place where the stud goes and you'll probably have to open up the holster for a few inches down the seam. Put the stud in the holder, push the end through the hole, put the washer over it and use the set and a hammer to pound the end of the stud hard enough so it flattens enough to prevent the washer from coming off. Sew it back up with the thread, using the two needle method and all is well! If this doesn't make sense just take the holster to a leather place and they'll give you the right stuff. Good luck!

Gorilla Glue

This will work 100% but I would take it to a good shoe repair place they can fix this right for you. If not use the glue!

Got this M1916 Boyt 42 holster the other day. Sadly, the ball clasp that secures the flap has pulled out of the socket. Is there a way to repair this? I'm sure my nomenclature is wrong but the attached pictures should show the problem. Thanks

attachicon.gifholster1.jpg attachicon.gifholster2.jpg

Did you buy it from ebay? If so return it.

Thanks to all for the replies. Remove/replace/resew is way beyond my skill level !! I may try the glue method. The holster in lightly used condition and the hole in the flap is tight. I would have to ream the hole out a bit so the flap doesn't pull the ball fitting out again. Thanks again for the ideas.

You can also take it to Amish community-based craftsmen.They still do a lot of hand leather work or find someone who makes custom knife scabbards or does saddle work.

I work leather for a hobby and resewing the holster so the stitching matches the rest of the holster is going to be REALLY difficult!! The thread needs to be cotton and the correct color. I really like the gorilla glue idea for this repair as it will hold the stud securely, keeps the stitching intact and if you moisten the cavity where the stud slides in with water, the gorilla glue expands and fills every nook and cranny. The repair will also be impossible to detect since it is all hidden and only you will ever know.

I once used gorilla glue to glue a Thompson M1928 barrel into an aluminum display receiver that had no threads for the barrel. It still holds the two pieces together to this day like they were welded. Gorilla Glue ranks up there with Velcro as one of the worlds best handyman inventions.

Bob

Thanks rambob, I see that there are several types of Gorilla Glue; Original, Multi-Purpose, Epoxy, etc. What type would work best in this application?

Thanks rambob, I see that there are several types of Gorilla Glue; Original, Multi-Purpose, Epoxy, etc. What type would work best in this application?

I work leather for a hobby and resewing the holster so the stitching matches the rest of the holster is going to be REALLY difficult!! The thread needs to be cotton and the correct color. I really like the gorilla glue idea for this repair as it will hold the stud securely, keeps the stitching intact and if you moisten the cavity where the stud slides in with water, the gorilla glue expands and fills every nook and cranny. The repair will also be impossible to detect since it is all hidden and only you will ever know.

I once used gorilla glue to glue a Thompson M1928 barrel into an aluminum display receiver that had no threads for the barrel. It still holds the two pieces together to this day like they were welded. Gorilla Glue ranks up there with Velcro as one of the worlds best handyman inventions.

Bob

Gorilla glue can be very messy...I would recommend caution using it....Bodes

This happened to one of mine.....I found a 10mm antique brass ball stud on EB** and removed my old broken stud and the ball studs have a thread and flat nut .These are a superb replacement for the ball stud that has broken.

Regards

Lloyd

This happened to one of mine.....I found a 10mm antique brass ball stud on EB** and removed my old broken stud and the ball studs have a thread and flat nut .These are a superb replacement for the ball stud that has broken.

Regards

Lloyd

Lloyd, I think that is the way to go. I was able to fish the back part of the broken stud out of the inside of the holster by cutting one stitch on the piece of leather that covers the back of the stud. I found a very similar brass ball stud on Etsy like you describe. It will cost about $7 with shipping from China but I think it is worth a try. Thanks!

post-9295-0-12998800-1449861055.jpg post-9295-0-59895500-1449860950.jpg

I use the original gorilla glue and it will expand as it dries, which can be messy. But this expanded residue is easy to remove by trimming it with an exacto knife.

Bob

Tom 63

my item was a 10mm antique brass sam browne ball stud....must be 10mm I got item number 171316642414...from a company called Hebar Ltd here in the UK....I went Chinese first and they sent the WRONG size..:-(

Regards

Lloyd

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lloyd, I was unable to locate Hebar Ltd so went with the Chinese outfit (bagpurseframes on Etsy). The only stud they had in antique brass was the 9mm item. 10mm would have been better but the 9mm holds the flap securely. It's a bit shorter but works fine. The cost was $3.20 for 5 sets plus $3.50 shipping and took about 2 1/2 weeks to get here. Not perfect but I'm satisfied! Thanks again for the info.

post-9295-0-98232300-1451842680.jpg post-9295-0-15660200-1451842700.jpg post-9295-0-02523800-1451842715.jpg

Tom63, Can you take a photo of the inside of the holster where the screw head of the new stud would be located. Curious how you did it.

Bob

rambob, I cut a couple of the stitches inside at the top of the small leather cover that protects the pistol from being scratched by the stud. I was able to insert the screwback for the new ball stud and hold it with the side of a screwdriver blade while I tightened the ball stud. I used leather glue to secure the leather cover back where it use to be. I didn't remove the stitches when I cut them so, from the outside, the stitching looks intact. Hopefully the leather glue keeps the stitching from unraveling. Photo below is of the inside cover after gluing it back down. Hope that helps.

post-9295-0-41262500-1451938147.jpg

post-9295-0-49389100-1451937520.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just revisited this topic and just saw the images in post #18 of the original stud and replacement. I like the idea of using the screw back, but have a way to reuse the original stud. Hacksaw off the cylindrical part of original stud flush with base, drill a hole into stud where the screw base would screw into, lastly tap the hole with the same thread as the screw base. Since the screw base isnt seen, you can use any color and buy them from Tandy leather. The repair will be indistinguishable from an original since you use the original stud. Maybe also put a dab of locktite on the threads to secure the screw base.

FYI. This modification will require a drill press, correct size drill bit for the tap to be used and tap with same thread as screw base.

Bob