Safe to Store?

skautdog

OK, I admit it. I can't get it straight and appreciate any help!

What material is safe to store on top of/within metal sliding cabinet drawers?

The metal is painted with high quality gloss commercial new paint. The drawers currently have standard foam/rubber type liners which came with the cabinet. Should I put white cotton material over the liners?

Any advice is appreciated. I anticipate first using the drawers for bayonets, scabbards, knives and some field equipment (TA-50).

Are metal insignia OK to store as described above (on cloth)?

Would using PH neutral boxes with the lids off be OK to use in the described drawers?

Civil War and other leather will stay in the safe.

TIA

Ken

"The drawers currently have standard foam/rubber type liners which came with the cabinet. Should I put white cotton material over the liners?"

It will be about 25-50 years (if ever) under normal conditions before the liners themselves break down sufficiently to damage anything laid on them from the cause of contact alone, IF what is laid on them is in and of itself more or less neutral pH (i.e. not wood, paper, textile etc).

Putting cotton material over it isn't going to get anything accomplished except maybe making you feel better.

As stated many times, of FAR greater importance is temperature, humidity, critter and ultra-violet light control.

You can place acid free paper (it is thick like construction paper) on the shelves as a liner. This will also act as a buffer between the metal painted surface and the TA-50. Any oils that are in the TA-50, such as a solied and dirty WW2 cartridge belt will be soaked up in the acid free paper and will not react with the paint or metal. It is best to switch the paper out every 6 months or so. Don't turn the paper over so the solied side is next to the metal/paint of the shelf. That will only cause a quicker chemical reaction.. We are contstantly monitoring the contents of our storage lockers at the museum...

I would also monitor temp/humidity as Bluehawk has mentioned. The foam/rubber will eventually break down so if you place a barrier between it and your artifact you will be OK. Archival boxes or lids to the boxes are excellent ways to store insignia/unit crests or patches. They are all laid out and you can see them this way. We have large map cases that we display insignia in all laid out. Of course on acid free paper and other archival products, but you can display and store your artifacts without fear of damage if you monitor and observe weather conditions and critters, ect..

Leigh