Merchant Marine DSM case

emccomas

OK guys, my education is still incomplete.

I am looking for a good picture of a WWII vintage Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Medal set IN THE CORRECT CASE.

Apparently, this case is different that the case for the Mariner's Medal or the MM MSM.

Can anyone help?

ED

I checked "Call of Duty", case appears to be the same as used for other MM decorations, I don't recall having ever seen a case specifically made for the MM DSM.

Dakotadave

My bad Ed. I just went and dug mine out and there is no tab for a ribbon bar, it is replaced by the slot for the lapel button.

Mark

P.S. Maybe it was just an optional case with the ribbon bar and or the button?

post-15093-0-67922500-1449530205.jpg

The DSM does indeed have a different case than the other two decorations. There's only one "hook", with the upper space having a slot for the lapel device instead. It has to be one of the rarest US medal cases. The outer cream colored cardboard box is the same as for the lower decorations.

post-10651-0-61295900-1449541573.jpg

Interesting that there is no place for the service ribbon in the case.

I am also wondering if this is a different inside pad, and the same outer case.

In any event, it is clearly different.

Thanks for the input Mark and Adam.

I am also wondering if this is a different inside pad, and the same outer case.

Yes, same outside case. Just a modified pad. (When I bought mine, a few months ago on eBay for $350 Buy It Now, the seller described the pad as having a "tear" in it. It was actually the slot for the lapel device.)

On page 207 of my book, there's a great photo of the recipient holding his DSM in the case...and it's just like the case Adam has (although he's wearing the lapel pin in the photo, but you can clearly see the slit for it in the case...)