313thTCG Photo album

Nightdriver

I have for many years been researching the history of the 313th Troop Carrier Group. As a result of my research I have traced the families of some of the veterans that served with the 313th. When I traced the family of the 313th's group intelligence officer Major Gerard Hallock they told me that they had a photo album and that if I made them an offer I could purchase the album from them.

Well it did not take me very long to make up my mind! The album contains around 750 photos that start from the when the 313th were training in the US and then go through the 313th's entire overseas history and then back to the US via Iceland and Greenland. As well as the photo album I was given a Major Hallock's 201 personal file and a piece of type written paper listing the 313th's achievements.

post-7807-0-49239000-1449452136.jpg

JDK, I love the album, I have researching and collecting information about the 313thTCG for over ten years and have owned this album for around four years now and it still gives me pleasure every time I look through it.

I have traced some of families of the men feature in this album and have been able to give some families pictures of their relatives they have never seen before. I was able to trace the daughter of Lt Col William Filer and send her over six photos of her Dad, she never knew her Dad as he was killed in action whilst taking part in Operation Varsity.

A bit more background on Gerard Hallock, I found out from his family that he represented the USA at the 1932 Winter Olympics held at Lake Placid and was part of the Ice Hockey team that won the Silver Medal.

Photos of the crash of Chalk13 on the morning of 24th March 1945 whilst C-46s of the 313th were taking of at the start of Op Varsity. These photos were lifted from the Associated Press newsreel by Gerard Hallock. You can see the accident here starting from 7.17 when the film crew are inside the control tower at Achiet Le Grand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_earvE5_0

post-7807-0-76472600-1449970859.jpg

• 3 months later...

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for posting and sharing this! I've been looking for something like this for a while now. Filer was my great-grandpa. Is there any way that I can possibly get copies of some of those pics? Please?