Korean War A-2 for 6167th Special Operation Squadron Flight Jacket

Navybean

That is a really nice A2, and to a fascinating unit. I am very interested in KW flight gear, and have collected the full range of nylon gear. I thought I would share this 6167th B Flight L2A I have, one of my favourite jackets, and I was very lucky to find it. The jacket it totally minty, just dusty, a few moth nips to the knits and I have not touched it, feels like it has just hung in a closet for decades. Clearly the aviator removed the spec tag so he could 'take the jacket home', the paper size 40 tag is still in the pocket. A few interesting details to note - the yellow 'come home' ribbon to the zip, and the grenade ring - I think the grenade ring might be a reference to a specific incident - in the Apollo Warrior book there is mention of an incident (a caption below an image, I have the book somewhere..) where a B-flight plane was dropping a Korean agent over into enemy lines, however the Korean was a double-agent and as he parachuted out he lobbed a grenade back into the plane, bringing it down. So perhaps the yellow ribbon and grenade ring together are lucky charms. Also note that the artist who painted the Firefly insignia was illiterate - ie, 'operton', not 'operation'. The jacket is named to R.W. 'Tiger' Heim, AF 16412043. I would like to be able to find out more info on him. Hope you enjoy this jacket, decorated KW jackets have always seemed to me to be an under-explored area, when compared to WW2 flight jackets.

Cheers

P.

Great L-2A. Wish mine was named like yours. Curious ( but probably a coincidence) that both the A2 and the L2 are missing the govt tags and both from same basic unit

Also hard to tell but looks like the Korean writing on the back is little different between the 2 jackets but hard to say for sure

Great piece of history thanks for sharing Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Korean war A-2s are highly rarer than ww2 exemplars. This one is particulary nice both with painting and patches and from a special unit.

Simon, do you still own this fabulous L-2A? It's a long time that we didn't have spoken each other. Do you still collect flight jackets?

Franck

Korean war A-2s are highly rarer than ww2 exemplars. This one is particulary nice both with painting and patches and from a special unit.

Simon, do you still own this fabulous L-2A? It's a long time that we didn't have spoken each other. Do you still collect flight jackets?

Franck

Thanks Frank, yes would say that Korean War Era A-2s are rare ( I have had lot's of WW2 A-2s but this is only Korean War jacket I have had)

I still collect flight jackets if that matters :)

• 2 weeks later...

Franck

Hi Franck,

nice to hear from you - yes, still have this jacket and most of the others from the publications, though I let the OD B-15c go (size 34, too small to wear..), kept the modified version though. Still find jackets occasionally, found a cotton B-15A modified recently, will have to post images.

all the best,

Simon

Thanks Frank, yes would say that Korean War Era A-2s are rare ( I have had lot's of WW2 A-2s but this is only Korean War jacket I have had)

I still collect flight jackets if that matters :)

I've sold my cold war aviation collection one year ago. Although I've kept two USAF nylon jackets and four USN. All are patched and named.

I had a Korean war era A-2 (the only A-2 I ever have had) that I'd shared on the forum. I'm still interested in this thema.

Simon,

So, your fantactic nylon jackets collection is still your. Great! :) Your articles have been a very appreciated work and I've still checked them a few time ago. Only for pleasure...

Franck

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...