What USMC Squadron are these Corsairs? Cherry Point, NC

gwb123

Awhile back, I shared some of the photos that my Dad had taken at MCAS Cherry Point during the Korean War.

He worked there at the repair depot. Several of the photos are of aircraft with very minimal markings which were probably there for rebuild.

However, in the background of a couple of the photos, there appear to be a number of Corsairs assigned to an active unit.

I can't say I have done much research on this, but I was wondering if any of our USMC aviation enthusiasts might have an idea of what the squadron might be.

Please forgive the quality... I am basically blowing up something far distant in a snapshot.

Cherry Point flightline Close 3.jpg

Cherry Point flightline Close 4.jpg

Cherry Point flightline Close 5.jpg

While we are at it, here are some jets that were at the same facility for rebuild.

If anyone has a reference book or website to recommend, that would be appreciated.

Cherry Point Jets at O&R send.jpg

And not to be repetitive, but this was one of the original photos.

My Dad is on the lower right holding a wrench.

Cherry Point flightline 2 send.jpg

Gil, the jets are FH-1's from VMF-122, they were based at Cherry Pt. between 1947-49. I think most of the F4U's are Reserve aircraft-The 'C' is for NAS Columbus, 'Z' is for NAS Squantum-lots of times reserve squadrons would head to a larger active USN/USMC base for manuvers, may be the case here. The period between WWII and Korea is interesting with so many changes in markings. I will keep looking to see if I can find anything else regarding. My Uncle was at Cherry Point during this period with VMF(N)-114.

Great photos, thanks for posting,

Mark

Super! I knew someone would have an answer. I wasn't sure if we were looking at one squadron or wing with mixed markings, or if they were different units.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks, there looks to be an upfolded wing with a "65 I" in the background.

Another possibility is gunnery ranges or some other form of pilot proficiency training being held at Cherry Point. I have other photos of AT-6 training aircraft that my Dad took there at the same time. So apparently some type of training took place there.

Thanks for the ID!

Cherry Point Texan send 750.jpg

Cherry Point Texan Flight Line send 2 750.jpg