Self Made Camouflage

kammo-man

• 6 months later...

Im bringing this badboy to MAX if anyone wants to swing by my table and check it out in person!...wont know my table location til wednesday but it will be very visible on a torso display on my table so you can find me easily....mike

• 2 months later...

The Eagle has landed!!.....made a very good deal for the camo jungle jacket on Sunday....been drooling over it for a few days....heres the story on the jacket...the seller picked it up at a flea market during the 1980s outside of Ft Bragg while he himself was stationed there airborne/SF....he has always thought the soldier could have been 5th SF as they recently at that time moved out of Bragg (i think he said 5th) but it is just speculation...havent tried researching the name yet, has really nice cut edge subdued Staff Sgt rank also has some numbers and letters written in collar area, will post a photo of that soon if i can capture them on camera, i have bad lighting in my basement/helmet room so had to use flash and its hard to get the right look and color of real life.....also has a nice big well done old repair on back and just love the way the camo was artfully done...i believe ( just speculating) that in order to make this camo they had to probably use bleach to drip on the splotches and then dye or color them, the white tags inside shirt have washed out but have turned a brownish color i assume from the dye job....would love to be able to find more info on Manzella he just has to have been SF but not positive, probably the only guys that would have gotten away with this kind of camo....hope you guys enjoy the pics and let me know if you would like to see any other details...thanks for looking.....mike

Hi Mike,

Great jacket. I'm thinking the splotches may have been done with wax, what they call batik or resist dying, and the Drab colour added around it. The base colour looks like the OG that would be typical of a JJ. It's really well done. Congrats and thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks matt, i think you are right about the wax, the more i looked at it that was a theory i had too, wax splotches then the whole shirt was dyed brown and i guess the wax melted off or was removed somehow revealing the original od green of the shirt, all the white tags inside are now brown from the dye.....mike

• 2 months later...

Might be something for you guys.

Open source.

Best

M

image.jpeg

I'm doing this to all my boring French uniforms. Cool pic. Thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

va058561.jpg.936574731749c7044c394b078409888c.jpg'

"Infantry personnel. Vietnam." 

from the U.S. Army Aviation Museum Volunteer Archivists Collection of The Vietnam Center & Sam Johnson Vietnam Archive at Texas Tech University 

iron bender

This is my dad's hand camo'd patrol cap from AIT 1966 Ft. Benning. He said they were issued to their class for a one week fx against a Ranger unit. He recalls they used some sort of marker to apply the camo. He applied the brass to the cap while overseas, but said he probably never wore it again after AIT. Cap is an m1951 model dated 57.

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG