USMC 704 Bn. 'Skull' Sleeve Insignia

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1219266528.jpg

Hi Forum Members, Here is a patch that I have had for a number of years, I got it from a guy I knew who worked in a material salvage place and he took it from the sleeve of a uniform before it was shredded for the material.

He didn't pay much attention to the uniform so I have little details to go on.

I would appreciate any historical details on this unit or even the patch if you can help me please.

regards ( Lewis )

It is not the 704th Marine Raider Bn as so many sellers claim and so many buyers don't know. It also exists with a sort of purplish background.

We pub a pretty extensive letter in The Trading Post several years ago - the USMC Museum historian verified the lack of the existence of such a unit or any other Marine unit numbered either "704" or "104". There were Marine Raider units in WW II, but I believe (and am sure our Marine gurus will correct me if I'm wrong) that there two battalions of Raiders, numbered 1 and 2.

It's not an Army unit with overseas service, either.

There is a military museum in Branson, MO, that has a decal of this insigne on a helmet liner, but they won't research their files to determine donor info.

There are several ROTC units that are RAIDER units, so there is a possibility this is a ROTC patch.

General Apathy

Hi Tredhed2, thanks for the fast response and input, pleased to hear anything about this patch, look forward to further input as you mention may happen from other forum members.

Always good to clarify what something is.

Cheers ( Lewis )

dogfacedsoldier

Lewis,

At one time I had both an "issue" patch, dark blue wool, and a matching D.I. I had both of these for a long time, before I traded them to a friend. I believe he no longer has them. I can't add much else but I had them a long time at BR (Before Repros).

Jon

vintageproductions

This patch has been id'ed for years as a 704th Raiders, but it is not. I believe this id came out of either a Patch King or Hobby Guild catalog. They were making these patches for collectors in the late 40's and 50's. I know it is listed in their old catalogs.

Have no idea of credibility, but a collector once told me that this was for a Filipino unit during the Huk rebellion, late40s-early 50s. NOT a "raider" unit, just a unit that absconded with a design they saw in a catalog or photo.