Gold USN APH-5 + Mask

viking73

Hello,

I wanted to show everyone the new to me APH-5 helmet and mask that arrived in the mail today :) This is the oldest helmet I now own. It needs a good cleaning, looks like it wasn't stored in ideal conditions. There even looks to be some verdigris on the hardman bayonet receivers.

The visor has come out of the slider on knob, that will be easy to fix once I remove the visor cover.

post-5482-0-86285400-1449356357.jpg

Of course the foam on the ear cups is roached. Might want to replace that as the rest of the interior isn't too bad.

post-5482-0-07335100-1449356563.jpg

The sticker on the back is pretty cool. What year would this have been made? I'm not too sure from the contract #...

post-5482-0-56299900-1449356613.jpg

And the mask. The rubber has quite a bit of cracking but hey, it's from the 50s! Both "Christmas tree" bayonets are present and are a bit oxidized...

post-5482-0-26648700-1449356673.jpg

Once I clean up the helmet and mask I'll be sure to post some "after" photos. I am very happy to have picked up this hard to find helmet. I haven't see too many with the push-button knob for sale.

Thanks for looking,

-Derek

Upon further review, it looks like the visor will have to be replaced after all. It looks like the little pieces/nubs on the ends are broken off :(

-Derek

Yep, the "teeth" on the visor that engage the chrome hooks on the visor rails are both broken. I am pretty sure I have a new visor for this helmet. I will look in my parts box when I get home next week.

Nice score on the helmet and mask! I would be proud to own it!

Very Nice helmet you got there without any reflecting tape job on it.

Would be hard to find out witch squadron this helmet was from?

Sadley the mask have some age related wearing on the edge but still a Nice helmet.

Will send a pict from my golden APH-5 wen i'm home and i have just have a new one on the way from the US.

Happy hunting for some more helmets.

northcoastaero

Nice late 1950s APH-5 helmet and MS-22001 mask. The NASNI on the MC-3A hose end connector could stand for Naval Air Station North Island in California. Is there a curved boom microphone mount on the right side of the helmet?

Nice late 1950s APH-5 helmet and MS-22001 mask. The NASNI on the MC-3A hose end connector could stand for Naval Air Station North Island in California. Is there a curved boom microphone mount on the right side of the helmet?

Hi, thanks northcoastaero. There is not a boom mic mount on the right side, just the worst area of verdigris. See photo below. Do you know why there isn't a chin strap on this helmet? Did they actually expect the mask and nape strap to be enough to keep the helmet in place during ejection? Yikes...

I have some free time today so I'll be taking this one apart for the good cleaning it needs. I'm going to use WD-40 to remove the verdigris on the bayonet receivers and also on the knob track in the visor. Plus I'll be using some oil and a scothbrite pad to remove the active rust on the screw heads. I have a NOS set of ear cups that I bought on eBay arriving today or Monday that are going to look great in place. I also have a line on a replacement visor from a generous forum member here... That should be all I need to get this one fixed up and on display.

Stay tuned and thanks again for looking.

-Derek

post-5482-0-77995300-1449927770.jpg

Well I think I made pretty good progress today. I have both the bayonet receivers off. It's a wonder what some WD-40, toothpicks, and elbow grease to do to get all that nasty stuff off... Not perfect but much better.

post-5482-0-67880100-1449968167.jpg

post-5482-0-15544600-1449968174.jpg

Got the visor off too and I cleaned the green off the knob track. More WD-40 and toothpick scrubbing. Here's a shot of the push button knob assembly.

When I took off the visor, these two little parts fell out. One is managed, the other is broken it appears. I assume they are in the visor tracks and somehow should attach to the visor? I am not sure what I'll do with them at this point...

-Derek

post-5482-0-92563600-1449968356.jpg

post-5482-0-16544100-1449968364.jpg

I have the 6 visor screws and 8 bayonet receiver screws soaking in oil overnight. Tomorrow I'll remove as much rust from them as possible and set them aside.

I have also started trying to remove the speakers from the ear cups. That disintegrated black foam is getting everywhere haha!

-Derek

Got the visor off too and I cleaned the green off the knob track. More WD-40 and toothpick scrubbing. Here's a shot of the push button knob assembly.

When I took off the visor, these two little parts fell out. One is managed, the other is broken it appears. I assume they are in the visor tracks and somehow should attach to the visor? I am not sure what I'll do with them at this point...

-Derek

Derek, those put tension on the visor. One of them you could probably straighten out with some pliers but I would leave them out if I were you. The visor will operate more smoothly and the knob locks the visor in place anyway. I believe these became mangled when the visor "hooks" broke off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's a shot of the inside of this one, all cleaned up and NOS ear cups added.

This one is almost done. More soon.

-Derek

post-5482-0-36538000-1451515076.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here is another one I'm calling done.

I am very happy with the way this helmet cleaned up (no more green gunk yeah!) with a little elbow grease and some replacement parts - NOS ear cups and visor. Very special thanks to forum member "littlegto" who went out of his way to hook me up with the visor. Thank you again for that!

The only thing I may still do to this setup is to take my Dremel Tool and wire brush attachment and remove the rust from the two rivets on the O2 mask. I could mask off the canvas with tape around the rivets to protect it and if I take it easy, I think it should clean up pretty well. I just haven't gotten the nerve to do it yet :)

Thanks for looking!

-Derek

post-5482-0-78494300-1453557219.jpg

post-5482-0-76135900-1453557228.jpg

post-5482-0-91121700-1453557236.jpg

• 5 years later...

Digging up this 5-year old thread to add a precision about your shell, Derek.

While doing some personal searches to find the precise year of a late 50's Gentex APH-5 contract (highlighted in yellow) and APH-5 back label pics, I've actually managed to find the contact number of the one you own (it matches the back decal).

508152152_Screenshot2021-10-09at15-42-11SoleSourceProcurement.png.0d46b08e73a6e9f4e379318ca451244e.png

So, your example is from an April 1958 contract 😉. Fits perfectly with the MC-3A connector's date.
Cheers !

- Gauthier