1940-1941 Vehicle markings

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Hi all,

Does anyone have information and/or pictures of clearly marked vehicles of the 1940-1941 period? Especially of vehicles of the early war games/maneuvers?

Especially looking for pictures showing 41WLA Harley-Davidson bikes in use?

Thanks,

Johan

Hi Johan

I have quite a few pics of 41wla's and the markings are all over the place. A few of them are clearly hand painted as apposed to stencilled. Most dont seem to have any stars on the tanks at all. They seem to have unit and company markings on the front fender, some have them on the rear fender under the number plate. A good reference book is "Roll Again 2nd Armored" i copied mine from a war bonds pic with the unit we portray link belo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

See you in Mons next week?

Tim

Johan Willaert

Hi Tim,

Yes, will be in Mons on the Sunday riding a WW2 bike without an engine... ;)

The picture you refer to in that auction came from the November 1941 Colliers magazine (the one with the 41WLA on the cover).

Weird marking on that bike, because here it is marked to the 82nd Recon Bn, which according to the 2AD history wasn't established until 1942. Here it still should have been 2nd Recon Bn...

Johan

craig johnson

Johan

This isnt exactly what you asked for ,but I found them while I was looking through my saved photos. There not mine so I cant blow them up any more.

205279332_qiYMy-L.jpg

203495695_K5rCS-L.jpg

203495728_wDcP4-M-1.jpg

203495827_LMVhJ-L.jpg

203495854_TTsjo-M-1.jpg

Craig

Johan Willaert
A good reference book is "Roll Again 2nd Armored"

I've just ordered it secondhand thru Amazon; should have it by the end of next week...

Thanks for the tip.

Johan

Hi Johan

Ihave always been lead to believe that the 2nd Recon was re-numbered 82nd Recon in the October of 1941. In the book us armored markings 1918-1941 there are a couple of pictures with Indian Big Chief and the tank markings are large crossed cavalry sabres, the pic is taken around 1940, so the bike is gloss green.

In 1940-mid 41' a few of the WLA'S seem to have the unit crest painted on the tank i have pics of the 1st and 13th cav,1st Armored Div you can see the crest on the third picture above. As they were deployed on the maneovers they seem to lack tank markings. If i knew how to post pics from books i would. I find the best reference source are 1941-1943 publications on armored divisions.

Will look out for you at Mons

Tim

I have an old well worn 1973 copy of Allmark Publication's American Military Camouflage and Markings 1939-1945 and on page 66 there is a picture of an MP bike showing the front of the bike and a close look at the markings on the fender, siren, and black out drive lights. If you can get a copy, it covers marking types, placement and paint colors during the different phases of the war.

Wayne

Hi Craig

Thanks for posting those pics the first one i find interesting because it is an Indian and it has the frame for the full winter screen but no canvas skirt which i have't seen before . The third picture must be from a set of pics i think most people have seen the pic of the riders linned up with thompsons out no magazines in and the high lace boots in this pic you can clearly see the 13th cav crest painted on the tank, you can just make it out in your pic. The bikes are 1940/1941 wla's, notice the white handlbar grips and shiney headlight rim.

Tim

Johan Willaert
I've just ordered it secondhand thru Amazon; should have it by the end of next week...

Well, it arrived this morning and has indeed some superb pictures of early war marked vehicles. Lots of pictures of M2 and M3 tanks, Willys MA and Dodge VC Models and Harley 41WLA's...