82nd Airborne uniform ribbons

Do these look right? On a right shoulder 82nd, left shoulder 25th Inf ike. Looks like a WWI Croix de Guerre? Also has Holland cord and two fourragere, Belgium & French. Thanks

post-123772-14492753107178.jpeg

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Deputy Curator @ http://www.themilitarymuseumofnorthflorida.com/

Looking for medals for the following groupings:

2nd Lt Victor P. Mangano KIA 6 Feb 1945 Engineers

Pvt First Class Ashur A. Handel KIA 14 Dec 1944 78th Div

Cmdr Bruce Nystrom KIA 2 Dec 1966

Hello,

The French award is their Croix de Guerre issued for WW1. The one for WW2 has 4 green stripes and not 6.

The last ribbon is the Korean War Medal. Authorized for wear in the US in perhaps the 1990ties (or later). The shown version is also from that time. Older versions don't have the round sign on it.

Question: Does any of the ribbons glow under blacklight? I bet some do.

My opinion on this one. Nice ribbons, maybe true, but definetely some things were added.

regards

Herman

I do not have the uniform to test anything or get closer look, this is an auction. Here are all the photos.

post-123772-0-16873300-1449321319.jpg

post-123772-0-95308900-1449321328.jpg

post-123772-0-07286800-1449321336.jpg

I wouldn't discount this jacket...is it named? The 2 stray KW era awards were obviously added, perhaps by the vet or a family member and there is always considerable confusion about the French awards. Are the ribbons sewn? Also possible that he served in Hawaii or Alaska prior to the 82nd, hence the PTO ribbon. I actually like it....

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

This is one of those items that I would consider a put together unless proven otherwise. I've seen weirder things, but they came with proof. Pretty odd to have a WW1 French CdeGuerre ribbon with no WW1 victory medal ribbon. That being said, if there's provenance or photos of the vet wearing the ribbons it would be a cool piece.

Visit My Website

Falls Creek Collectibles
Selling Quality 20th Century Militaria

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The absence of a CIB, jump wings, PUC, etc. indicates this uniform has been tampered with. That being said, the ribbons are mostly plausible for a WW2 vet who was on occupation duty in Japan when North Korea invaded the south in 1950.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Hello,

The ribbon surrounded in yellow is the Belgian WW2 Croix de Guerre.

Stef

post-73133-0-67174400-1449387701.jpeg

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

patton11.jpg

tigerb10.jpg images10.jpg

Search everything about the 10th armored division

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonati10.gif

AS far as the foreign ribbons I agree, a lot of confusion with those.I have seen WW2 uniforms with the WW1 Occupation ribbon and not the WW2 version, confusion.The probably just told who ever I need an Occupation ribbon and the gave them what they had. Also maybe the family members kept the CIB and Jump wings. If there is NO evidence, pin holes, of ones never being worn then I would say a put together. And why would the family want just the cib & jump wings, who knows, maybe they're easier to keep than a bulky jacket?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

If this jacket ended up at goodwill, then there's a good chance the wings and/or CIB were probably pulled off because they were sterling silver. I'm just saying...

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

...can't tell you how many perfectly original uniforms I have found with the CIB and/or jump wings removed. They are Sterling, and perceived to be more valuable than the other insignia so people take them off.

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

Exactly. CIBs are the first to be removed, whether for sentimental value or for their silver content. I have multiple jackets where you could tell the CIBs had been freshly popped off. In this case, those fourragères would be almost as valuable as some of the sterling insignia when attributed to an 82nd paratrooper.

And the fourragère ribbons don't bug me much, either. The guy making up the ribbon rack could have easily just pulled a French and Belgian ribbon from the stocks not realizing the WWI and WWII differences. Makes sense with foreign awards. What would bother me more is if it had a WWI occupation ribbon, since the WWII version had been around long enough during Korea that it doesn't have the same easy pass as a WWI version would in 1945/46 before the next version came out.

USS Uniontown (PF-65)

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

I was using the WW1 versus WW2 Occupation ribbon only as an example of how tailors and ribbon makers could and have mixed the two.And yes by the Korean conflict that wouldn't have flown. But I doubt a 1st SGT or CO would know the difference in Foreign awards.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

I totally agree with your assessment. I was pointing out that we typically see the WWI occupation ribbons at a time in 1945/46 when the WWII version hadn't even come out yet. By 1950 anyone who was making ribbon racks had seen enough of the occupation ribbons to know the difference, but there's a good chance that they still wouldn't know about many of the foreign awards.

USS Uniontown (PF-65)

I totally agree with your assessment. I was pointing out that we typically see the WWI occupation ribbons at a time in 1945/46 when the WWII version hadn't even come out yet. By 1950 anyone who was making ribbon racks had seen enough of the occupation ribbons to know the difference, but there's a good chance that they still wouldn't know about many of the foreign awards.

I like the jacket, as long as there are marks where a CIB and Para badge would have been. The CIB could have been worn on the pocket flap.

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

From the vendor: "there was a tag attached giving us information about the uniform, it was destroyed."

Sad very sad. In this day and age people see numbers and names and think its info that can be stolen to create a new identity. It drives me crazy how people overthink things, I hear it all the time at the flea market "oh its illegal to sell a purple heart" or from a thrift near me, "oh its illegal to sell uniforms so we send them to Salvation Army". Drives me nuts!!

This uniform was on shopgoodwill, I know some will not like me revealing that since it may up the competition on that site. The following is what I squeezed out of them after asking for more information a few times. Which they posted on the auction after my asking questions. They also said the index cards had a name on them that was not going to be in the photos & also said their was a laundry number in the jacket. It sold for $361, any thoughts? I think that's a great deal. Bill

post-123772-0-14480100-1449859785.jpg

post-123772-0-69027100-1449859790.jpg

I know everybody wants to have as little competition as possible when sourcing new finds, but at this point, if something is up for auction on the internet (eBay, Goodwill, whatever) you're not going to be only person who sees it. That's just how it is. The only "deals" left are the underpriced Buy-It-Now listings that pop up now and again, or things so deeply buried in the wrong category that it has a shot of being passed over by most others. For everything else we just need to pony up and bid your best on it. Too bad, but that's the reality of how the great equalizer of the Internet works.

That said, I liked this one, and no surprise it went for that price, even missing the glider wings and the CIB. Hopefully the new owner will be able to nail down the ID, and given the info of his assignment in the 325th it shouldn't be too difficult.

USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Thanks everyone, I thought the price was a little low. I am sure it could easily be identified. On to the next...........