Coast Guard Aux. Arm patches - Help ID

stratasfan

This may be a strange one, but I've been nuts about the old TV show "Sea hunt" for years. Just wondering if anyone can help ID the patches on his arm? I got the best screen grab I could, but I will keep my eyes open for another episode where he wears his CG Aux. uniform. Being that it is in the early 1960s, would he have something that would say he's a SCUBA diver? I know the pins weren't done until 1969.

post-151812-0-67738300-1449253931.jpg

Garth Thompson

If I remember correctly his insignia is for a district level rear or vice commodore. CG Auxiliary insignia doesn't convey rank, they convey office held.

Garth Thompson

I have a USCGA uniform reg book from the 60's.Do you think I can find it??? The stars remind me more of the Power Boat Sq rank insignia

Look between the three stars and the four stripes. That is the CG Auxiliary shield not the power squadron.

Look between the three stars and the four stripes. That is the CG Auxiliary shield not the power squadron.

I know.But it was a TV show and they used whatever they had available. Plus I didn't say it was Power Sq just that it reminded me of their rank.They used Tridents, not stars.

I watched some and fouund an episode that is more Coast Guard than research. He says he is a Commodore in the CG Aux. Your previous post leads me to a question. I don't understand the insignia not conveying rank, but rather position held. Does that mean he wasn't a Commodore in the CG? He could have been anything and now he is a Commodore in the CG Aux.? That is interesting, if that is what it is.

So, in the early 1960s, would he have had something that would say he was a SCUBA diver?

If I remember correctly his insignia is for a district level rear or vice commodore. CG Auxiliary insignia doesn't convey rank, they convey office held.

I found my USCGA uniform regulation book from 1969. There is NO sleeve rank configuration like that.They show the normal sleeve and shoulder board with stripes and shield with "A" in the center.