Anyone recognize this USAF shoulder board?

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

I recently purchased a small bag of service-related insignia, and this piece was among them. While I do have some USAF-related items, it's not a focus of my collecting. So I'm hoping that someone might know what this is and what time period it might have been used. I've included a 5 dollar bill for some size reference.

Note that the back of the board has roll-back pin mechanisms to attach to the USAF uniform, and the numerous white bands on the board are not sewn on. Rather they are slipped on the board and can be pulled off easily.

Thanks for any help you can give.

post-286-0-71436700-1449250844.jpg

Capt.Confederacy

AF Academy or ROTC ?

I'm thinking it might be that, but I just haven't been able to find anything on the web that conclusively shows it.

Same here. I looked at the USAFA ranks and nothing looks like the one you have, unless it's a real early one from 1960.Not sure if they ever changed their rank insignia.

OTS from the 50s or early 60s.

The stripe closest to the button represents what track the cadet was in like pilot or navigator or something else.

These were Navigator Training class ranks used in the late 50's and early '60's. There was another thread on these in the Ranks and Rates section back on 25 Feb. 201 (according to notes I have).. I have a few of these and you can find them with red and green stripes in addition to the gold stripes. These were thick and had that "home made" and funky look to them. I've never got a full identification to the ones I have or seen a chart describing them.

These might also have been used in pilot training classes too, but I don't know for sure. They could have been a locally designed, made and used series of shoulder boards.

• 2 weeks later...
Capt.Confederacy

These were Navigator Training class ranks used in the late 50's and early '60's. There was another thread on these in the Ranks and Rates section back on 25 Feb. 201 (according to notes I have).. I have a few of these and you can find them with red and green stripes in addition to the gold stripes. These were thick and had that "home made" and funky look to them. I've never got a full identification to the ones I have or seen a chart describing them.

These might also have been used in pilot training classes too, but I don't know for sure. They could have been a locally designed, made and used series of shoulder boards.

Thanks!

A few links for you

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/83503-usaf-shoulder-boards/

This is the most up to date collection I have, each with an explanation from an email I recieved from the seller whos boards these were issued to.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/102367-usaf-aviation-cadet-commissioning-program/