My Grandpa's WWII Civil Defense Helmet

WWIIDADS

Just acquired this beautiful original "Strauss" model E.D. Bullard & Co Civil Defense Helmet from WWII, which was sold at the sale of my grandfathers estate in 1993. I had been searching for it since! He was too young for WWI (born 1904) and too old for WWII (38-41) from 1942-45, so he served as Air Raid Warden for Hershey, PA during that time, and repaired airplane magnetos for planes stationed at Olmstead Field/ Middletown Army Air Base below Harrisburg, PA. The logo is masterfully hand painted on an original rich brownish toned varnish surface. I treasure it!!!

post-143615-0-08913800-1449086258.jpg

BROBS, it is unique in color, and has remain unchanged in appearance, as I have known it hanging in my Grandpa's Gas Station since probably I was 4 or 5 in 1958/59 until sold in 1993 at the auction. I used to wear it when I sold candy and sodas at the gas station when I was a kid! Because of the color and condition, it was easy to spot for sale this past weekend when visiting Hershey again! Right place, right time!!

I'm so glad you got this back. I can't recall ever hearing of one that is named by someone specific.

Such a shame that stuff like this gets sold without anyone in the family asking, "Hey, did anyone want this old helmet?"

How many of us have heard stories where the family is chasing the almighty dollar, and cheating kids and grandkids out of their heritage for just a few bucks? This helmet couldn't possibly have sold for much in the 80s.