doinworkinvans

How do you enjoy your collection?

The view in my room's changed a bit but nonetheless it's still a great view of a lot of history. As before it's split in two with the named and personalized US gear on the left with some stragglers in the second picture and my Japanese items on the right side.

post-159863-0-81221700-1487282503.jpg

post-159863-0-40455600-1487282510.jpg

Collector and preserver of "old war stuff"; son and grandson of veterans
Father: 1st Marine Division, Echo 2/7 1966-1968
Grandfather: USCG 1941-1946, USAF 1950-1966

Always on the hunt for marine corps items from E/2/7 from WW2, Korea, and Vietnam

Also looking for items related to the 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division from D-Day through to the end of 1944 and items related the Battle of Brest

Just read thru this thread and glad to know I'm not the only one! I've been more of an "accumulator", than a focused collector I guess. I know I need to focus on some specifics, but then I'll find something at the flea market for very cheap, and I fall off the wagon. I also find myself picking up stuff that I may not necessarily be interested in, but figure I can resell (or at least that's what I tell the wife). I have a lot of paper and photos, which I put in binders "scrapbook" style. We recently picked up an old wood file cabinet that I am using to put the binders in as well as loose documents. I just use regular file folders and hangers. The rest of it is in boxes in the basement. It is fun to go downstairs with a beer, start some 1940's music on Pandora, and go thru a box or two!!!

Some great displays and great ideas!

Semper Fi!

Sgt. BARney

Usually everything is packed away tighter than sardines in a can. I do get a lot of pleasure doing local displays.The reactions, and stories you hear are priceless. The family is tortured only when things get aired out. The last airing, i had 78 uniform jackets packing the living room , and down thru the hall way.

post-7425-0-08000700-1487297073_thumb.jpg

I limit my self, I only have 9 helmets at a time. When I buy one, I sell one. I've been through so many helmets. I've must have had a hundred helmets pass through my possession in the 4 years I've been collecting, but only 9 @ once. You ask, why 9?

Because that's the amount of spot I have in my shelf. it's good to do it this way so you don't get to cluttered, you can display everything, and lets not forget about the financial ups to it.

Here's a recent pic ... A couple have been replaced.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and this is my first post.

Been collecting WW2 pilot headgear and cockpit items for years. Recently picked up a helmet and recievers. Found this thread...

I tried the oil or soap with spoon method to insert the ANB-H-1 receivers into a A-11 leather flight helmet. I had acquired both independently. I could see that if inpersisted, the 70+ year old rubber earcups would crack or split, so I stopped to think out of the box. What i thought was i doubt these were put in originally from the outside, but rather the inside as the helmet was assembled (unless the rubber was far more mallable than it is today).

So i decided to very gently remove the sheepskin cloth inner earcup receiver covers. The old glue can be pulled on and the thin cover edges pulled back if inwas very slow and careful not to tear them.

As you can see, it turned out nice

The forum disables outside photo hosting links. You will have resize your photos and upload them directly to the forum.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Usually everything is packed away tighter than sardines in a can. I do get a lot of pleasure doing local displays.The reactions, and stories you hear are priceless. The family is tortured only when things get aired out. The last airing, i had 78 uniform jackets packing the living room , and down thru the hall way.

attachicon.gifAiring Out Time.jpg

Hey - I like those stands....where did you find those?

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

Some more great examples! I guess its not just about how much you have, but more about how you display it and honor it. I love seeing how people display their items. Always gives good insight and ideas to me and to others I am sure.

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

Highly interesting discussion here with some mighty fine collections and displays, gentlemen.

My main thrusts have been chronological displays and separate "specialized" groupings like Mountain/Ski gear and multi-colored W.W.II "transitional" canvas pieces. I've been blessed with the ability to display all the old goods, excepting some duplicates and other such things. If God blesses me with a wife, there'd be some changes around here, as I wouldn't expect any girl in her right mind to put up with 3 rooms full of smelly surplus stuff..uh, I mean Vintage Military Antiques.

I constructed a few easily assembled/disassembled display racks on 2X4 uprights, using cedar planks for the shelf facings. At left below is a (somewhat) chronological display of preWar web gear progressing to early '40s stuff; at the right is the end of this display, featured mid- and later-War gear.

post-3226-0-72991900-1491188881.jpg

post-3226-0-33537300-1491188891.jpg

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

And what room full of surplus stuff is complete without a "miscellaneous" box full of random items to dig through?

post-3226-0-18156300-1491189918_thumb.jpg

I've found the painted steel shelving to be wholly satisfactory for building display racks.

And as everybody here knows well, vertical space is a must to utilize.

post-3226-0-05311400-1491190960_thumb.jpg

'Flage Guy I really like how you have your stuff displayed! That is a display you can stand in the middle of, and look and touch. Some great looking stuff in there!!!

Semper Fi!

Sgt. BARney

I'm a pretty focused buyer and collector. I never buy anything unless it fits into what I'm trying to accomplish or fit in my life. No needless movies, books, or militaria. Everything has its purpose. I don't need 15 helmets just to say I have them. I'd much rather have one really nice purposeful helmet. I also spring clean every six months, getting rid of things I don't use. About 80% of my already Spartan existance I could do away with and not blink an eye. I'm pretty deliberate and methodical with my possessions/money.

Wanted: Missouri Medals

I am always in search of Missouri Medals and Items. This could be anything from WW1, WW2, Prisoners of War, Ephemera, or anything pertaining to Missourians.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

-Without a witness, they just disappear.-

donation2020.gif

I started collecting July 1944. U.S. was everywhere, so I quickly shifted over to specializing on Third Reich everything. I went to Normandy in 1974 for the 50th Anniversary as a guest speaker. I found myself surrounded by U.S. Vets, and decided I had been very remiss regarding U.S. History. I immediately shifted over to specializing in WWII U.S. everything except items that had wheels. I built two homes--one with more than 1,800 sq. ft. of display space, and my current home with about 1,600 sq. ft. None of the collecting areas infringes on the general living space. My particular interests are elite forces,USMC, aviation, and anything else I don't have. Space has become rather limited. I still have some vertical space that can be put into play. I have just come to the realization that, if it is relegated to a closet, it needs to go. One of the driving forces to my collecting is the desire to educate. For those that are aware of the 43 books published to date, you know what I mean. I have established 2021 as the date to aggressively dispose of everything. Collecting has been a major part of my life, but all things must come to an end..

donation2007.gifdonation2014.gif

post-247-0-75151000-1493767378_thumb.jpg

The following are a general overview of my main display room

donation2007.gifdonation2014.gif

'Flage Guy I really like how you have your stuff displayed! That is a display you can stand in the middle of, and look and touch. Some great looking stuff in there!!!

his display reminds me of the old school ARMY NAVY SURPLUS store, thats very similar to what it was like, shelves , boxes piled with surplus, and tables

I'm kind of at the point where I've gotten most of the things I want so here it be. It's my little room in the corner of the basement that's all mine. only took me to age 57 to pull it off! :)

I've allowed myself two pilots to put together. One's based on an MTO 340th BG B-25 bombardier B-10 grouping. He's sitting in front of a bunch of the books I've gathered since I was a kid. A few diecast P-38s and some model tanks built many years ago fill out the background.

The other pilot is based on a 9th AF P-38 pilot. it's a bit of a combo platter as I have the beat up B-10 and dress uniform of a 370th FG P38/P51 pilot, but this guy wears an un-named B-10 with an original 474th FG patch on it.

In between the two airmen is a closet that has the dress uniforms and Ike's of both 8th and 9th AF folks along with a B-15, another good B-10 that has an RAF Mae West on it, and two beat up B-10s. Some other uniform bits are behind the closed part of the closet and a named B-4 bag to a B-29 navigator is seen at the bottom of the image.

post-68384-0-53996400-1493872002.jpg

post-68384-0-46708600-1493872011_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-76651700-1493872095_thumb.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Myh computer is below the window with more shelves on both sides. To my right as I sit at the computer are more books and on top three RAF Type C flying helmets. I've loved that type since I was a little kid. I had my first when I was 16. I didn't get any others until the last few years.

To my right are more shelves with books and more diecast aircraft, mainly P-51s and Beaufighters. The helmet visible is one of a number I have. It's the only one named to a WW2 vet. He landed on Utah on June 6th and fought until wounded in November 44. He says it's the helmet he wore, but since it's a swivel loop I imagine it makes it suspect. Just having it and having gotten to know him, means the most anyway. More flying helmets to the left. One an RAF Type E, a USAAF A-11, a USN helmet that belonged to a Helldiver pilot who won a Silver Star by hitting the Musashi, and another USAAF helmet. Not see is the trunk the ancestors came over on the boat with. It has a number of other helmets in it along with some uniform bits and equipment.

And finally there isn't much point unless you are passing on the history. it's the best way to enjoy a collection. My littlest decked out in one of Type Cs that was used by the USAAF and a B-10 in front of my P-38 pilot. The brick on the ledge is from RAF Debden where the 4th FG was based. A buddy brought it home for me knowing I was an ETO USAAF fan. :)

post-68384-0-76897000-1493872438.jpg

post-68384-0-07364900-1493872447_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-78163400-1493872503_thumb.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Thanks for all who have shared recently! I think it's always good to see and to get idea on how to display certain items. Plus to get a peak at others collections. Keep it coming!

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

Sgt., thanks for the comment. The only stuff I have bagged are duplicates, so the rest is out for enjoyment. The 2 rack shots are the office, where most of the Army stuff is displayed. It's harder to get around in here, so I had to make aisles.

Below is a shot from the door...

Sgt., thanks for the comment. The only stuff I have bagged are duplicates, so the rest is out for enjoyment. The 2 rack shots are the office, where most of the Army stuff is displayed. It's harder to get around in here, so I had to make aisles.

Below is a shot from the door...

I don't know why this showed up twice...!

post-3226-0-49791100-1495579612_thumb.jpg